Duck-Small pip on wrong end Help!

Flufftheduck42

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2019
First time hatching. I realized there was a small external pip yesterday afternoon on the small end of the egg (mallard mix). There has been no change and it’s been 12-18 hours.

I have searched and read tons of different posts but am still confused. People say listen for chirping or movement or as long as it has air leave it. Someone else said something about a safety hole? I can’t tell if the membrane has a hole or not. The eggs haven’t moved, and I haven’t heard anything. I candled right before lockdown and all looked well. What do I do? Do I just wait? It’s killing me! I want to check on it so bad.

This is a staggered hatch and there are two other eggs about a week behind. Can I candle them?

Attachments

• 0C2DEAA6-3F1E-48C4-9532-1A044ABC0382.jpeg
    0C2DEAA6-3F1E-48C4-9532-1A044ABC0382.jpeg
    282.1 KB · Views: 59
I had this on my last hatch. I'd say you better start picking away at the shell and see if you can get the bill out! Hopefully it's not too late. @WVduckchick is awesome at this. She walked me through the whole thing and the ducking was saved.

Candle it to make sure it's still alive and see if you can tell where the bill is. I'd start picking away at the fat end of the egg where the air cell is. SLOWLY and if you run into bleeding STOP! Put vaseline on the membrane to keep it moist with a q-tip. You're going to need to find it's head. These pictures are how mine went. Took all day to do this too. I had to let things rest between "pickings".

IMG_0665.JPG IMG_0667.JPG IMG_0668.JPG IMG_0669.JPG IMG_0671.JPG IMG_0672.JPG

I had this on my last hatch. I'd say you better start picking away at the shell and see if you can get the bill out! Hopefully it's not too late. @WVduckchick is awesome at this. She walked me through the whole thing and the ducking was saved.

Candle it to make sure it's still alive and see if you can tell where the bill is. I'd start picking away at the fat end of the egg where the air cell is. SLOWLY and if you run into bleeding STOP! Put vaseline on the membrane to keep it moist with a q-tip. You're going to need to find it's head. These pictures are how mine went. Took all day to do this too. I had to let things rest between "pickings".

View attachment 1893873 View attachment 1893874 View attachment 1893875 View attachment 1893876 View attachment 1893877 View attachment 1893878
That's a cute duckling

Thank you all! I am so worried, I was supposed to go out of town but stayed. I read the assisted batch article. I just candled and could feel it moving, I couldn’t tell anything about what position it is in but I could see veins at the big end. What now?
Wait at least 24 hours before doing anything.

Personally, I’d wait at least 36-40 hours on a wrong ender.

In a normal hatch, they are in the air cell for 12-24 hours before we even know they are breathing air. They take that time to absorb the yolk. Then they pip the shell for more air, and more absorbing. Another 24-48 hours from external pip is not unusual.
Since yours skipped the air cell part, it will take longer. So try to be patient.

At most, I might flake a little of the shell off at the existing hole, just to give a viewing window so you can see movement better. But that’s it this early.

Good luck!! :fl

Back
Top Bottom