Duck sounds like her sinuses clogged/inflamed

CrunchTimePoultry

In the Brooder
May 23, 2022
Hi all, recently added a Buff duck and Silver Appleyard duck to the flock. Since we got them as hatchlings, the Silver Appleyard seems to have some respiratory issues. She has always been pretty sneezy and has been breathing heavily, the way it sounds when someone's sinuses are semi-clogged. I have a vidoe attached of what I mean. She seems generally healthy otherwise, she eats a lot, drinks a lot, tries to escape her container a lot. The one thing is she does like to lay down frequently - but this may only seem like a lot to me because it's in comparison to the Buff who is a bundle of energy, much moreso than any duck or chick we've had before. Any advice would be appreciated.

Not sure how to share videos here (it won't accept this video link as media, probably because it doesn't link to the actual file): https://streamable.com/e/rmohgh

Hi all, recently added a Buff duck and Silver Appleyard duck to the flock. Since we got them as hatchlings, the Silver Appleyard seems to have some respiratory issues. She has always been pretty sneezy and has been breathing heavily, the way it sounds when someone's sinuses are semi-clogged. I have a vidoe attached of what I mean. She seems generally healthy otherwise, she eats a lot, drinks a lot, tries to escape her container a lot. The one thing is she does like to lay down frequently - but this may only seem like a lot to me because it's in comparison to the Buff who is a bundle of energy, much moreso than any duck or chick we've had before. Any advice would be appreciated.

Not sure how to share videos here (it won't accept this video link as media, probably because it doesn't link to the actual file): https://streamable.com/e/rmohgh
The water dish in the video not deep enough for her to clear her nasal passages. A duck needs to have water deep enough to fully submerge their head to flush their nares and clean their eyes. If she is sitting a lot at this age it usually means a deficiency. Even if you are feeding the best feed and adding brewer's or nutritional yeast large breeds especially can end up with niacin deficiencies. I would recommend picking up Durvet's B complex and dosing at 1 ml daily.

I can’t really hear much in the video other than the one duck drinking, I’d say let them go for swim in some warm water deep enough to clean their nostrils out and have deep water dishes for them. For the one that lays down a lot, do you nostice any differences in her legs? Are they bowed, turned in at all or is she a bit wobbly? I would say give her vitamin B as said above.

When it's full she is able to clear her nostrils (I have seen this), but they do empty it out quickly after it's filled. They're also taken to the bathtub almost every day. Her legs seem strong but she does seem to need to take an awkward half step to get herself "set" before running around. I'll add a B complex on top, thank you

Back
Top Bottom