Duck Standing Alone Not Looking Well

Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 26, 2007
Fair Oaks, California
i am relatively new to ducks, so don't have a list of things to check when they look "off". i have a six-month-old fawn runner female who has been standing off from the crowd. This started last night when i put yummy food down in their pen and everyone ran up, as usual, but she just stood off from the crowd. Now this morning she is doing the same thing. Everyone is running around being busy, and then ran to the food when i put it down, except her. i picked her up for a bit and she felt light. But i picked up her runner sister and they felt the same.

i feed Mazuri Waterfowl maintenance twice daily, wetted down a bit, sometimes with peas in it. They usually get peas and corn during the day, and some greens. Fresh water always (which is a challenge). And i keep a container of the dry meat bird/flockraiser crumbles out at all times. i haven't wormed them yet. If that is suggested to do, which wormer? i use Wazine on my chickens and turkeys every six months, followed up by Ivermectin spot-on a week or two later.

Would appreciate any suggestions on what i should check. i can isolate her in a pen, if suggested. i haven't seen our one drake going after her, so don't think that is it. If necessary, i can take her to my vet. But i was really hoping to go at least one month without a big vet bill. Thanks!

Has she laid eggs yet?
I've noticed this behavior in young ducks usually a few days before they start to lay eggs. I think it is a hormonal change that makes them act that way. It usually stops after they have laid a few eggs. Keep and eye on her.

i'm not sure if she has. i have 11 girls and have been getting 4-5 eggs a day, so she very well may not have laid yet. Hope that's it. She doesn't look bad, other than having a very pensive look on her face and hanging back from the crowd. i watched our drake walk up to her earlier. He didn't bother her, he just looked and then stood there with her for a while.

Poor thing! i'm familiar with how some chickens will act odd or upset right before laying for the first time, but haven't had experience with ducks on this issue.

same thing happened to my Omlet about a week ago.. she acted sickish and laid around and didnt mix with the others. I put their treats out like always and she didnt hardly budge... Next morning found an egg and she acted normal, but returned sluggish that evening again... next day another egg. Its the first time shes laid.. shes been laying everday now but does NOT go thru the sluggish stage !!! Just like ABC said, she just had to to thru a little change.
hope thats what it is !

Well, The Duck ABC's was right on the money. Today Miss Quackers came out of the coop acting normal, mingling with her friends, chowing down on food. And i found 6 eggs instead of the normal 5. So that must have been it. So grateful for the input, as i was ready to rush her to the vet.

So now my Bourbon Red hen is acting off, hoping that means i will finally get an egg out of her.
smile.png

I'm glad to hear that this was the case and nothing more serious. Not all duck do show this ill (PMS) behavior, but some do.

Back
Top Bottom