Duck still has wet feather

Cassandragrenr

Songster
Jul 15, 2022
Sweden, södermanland
In one of my first posts, I posted about how my ducks have wet feather. I've tried doing everything people suggested, but they still have wet feather and I have no idea what to do!? They're currently only males but I'm getting females for them soon, and since they don't swim I'm worried that they're gonna crush them while mating on land...
They're muscovy ducks

+ Does wet feather affect flying in some way? My muscovies can't fly but they're not clipped

In one of my first posts, I posted about how my ducks have wet feather. I've tried doing everything people suggested, but they still have wet feather and I have no idea what to do!? They're currently only males but I'm getting females for them soon, and since they don't swim I'm worried that they're gonna crush them while mating on land...
They're muscovy ducks

+ Does wet feather affect flying in some way? My muscovies can't fly but they're not clipped
Hi,
How old are they?
If their feathers get soaked often, it will be hard for them to fly.

What treatments have you done?
Do they have constant access to swimming water during the daytime?
Have you checked their oil glands to ensure theres oil coming out?

Hi,
How old are they?
If their feathers get soaked often, it will be hard for them to fly.

What treatments have you done?
Do they have constant access to swimming water during the daytime?
Have you checked their oil glands to ensure theres oil coming
They're about 3 years old, and they're never wet since they never swim.
They have a pond that they have access to 24/7, but never interested.
I haven't checken their oil glands in a while, I'll do that :)

When it rains
if they arent regularly using their pond, they wont be preening properly. As long as the oil gland looks healthy, I dont think there is a lot you can do about it. Do they have shelter for when it rains?
Is there any reason you can think of why they dislike their pond? Are they just not keen on water, or is there something preventing them? (such as -if the pond is natural- the threat of snapping turtles, or if the pond is a kiddie pool, is it difficult to get in or out of)

if they arent regularly using their pond, they wont be preening properly. As long as the oil gland looks healthy, I dont think there is a lot you can do about it. Do they have shelter for when it rains?
Is there any reason you can think of why they dislike their pond? Are they just not keen on water, or is there something preventing them? (such as -if the pond is natural- the threat of snapping turtles, or if the pond is a kiddie pool, is it difficult to get in or out of)
They do have shelter, but sometimes I see one of them just standing In the rain completely drenched. And I can't think of any reason they wouldn't like their pond. We made it ourselves, so there's nothing harmful though we have a few goldfishes in there. The geese and other ducks are always in there so I see no reason to be scared? They've never liked water, ever since I remember.
Though I put them in my bath tub once and one of them really liked it and the other didn't

They do have shelter, but sometimes I see one of them just standing In the rain completely drenched. And I can't think of any reason they wouldn't like their pond. We made it ourselves, so there's nothing harmful though we have a few goldfishes in there. The geese and other ducks are always in there so I see no reason to be scared? They've never liked water, ever since I remember.
Though I put them in my bath tub once and one of them really liked it and the other didn't
are the goldfish very large? Perhaps they dislike the fish nibbling at their feet. Its a mystery.
Some just dont like water, and if one dislikes it, the other may spend more time on land as a result. They do love staying close together. Its not thay common for them to dislike water, but it does happen. It's okay if they dont, it wont hurt them, just as long as they have shelter from the rain

I wonder if you get a kid pool and try that
Maybe they are not wanting to go in with the geese and other ducks
I believe Muscovy ducks are not big for water like regular ducks are
I did just have a little 7 week old duckling get stuck in the pond all day
I was away on holiday and left my daughter to look after my ducks
She didn’t realize she needs to add water to the ponds daily as it goes down and then they struggle to get out
When she found her all that was sticking up was her head and a little neck. She was drowning
I got home late that night and it took her 4 days before she would go in a pool or pond and only after I put her in and she was able to get out. She was scared of water ( poor thing ) imagine a duck scared of water
But now a week later she is back to going in on her own
Maybe something has happened that scared them in the big pond ?

are the goldfish very large? Perhaps they dislike the fish nibbling at their feet. Its a mystery.
Some just dont like water, and if one dislikes it, the other may spend more time on land as a result. They do love staying close together. Its not thay common for them to dislike water, but it does happen. It's okay if they dont, it wont hurt them, just as long as they have shelter from the rain
They are, I wouldn't either want large goldfish nibbling my feet if I was them 😅 But wouldn't mating be pretty... horrible??? Since they mostly mate in water, I'm worried about that. I've heard that it can harm the female extremly

Back
Top Bottom