Stalking this thread since I only have two of my 5 hens laying for the last couple of months. Their molts were over about a month or two ago, and then nothing. I have heard about winter, low daylight, etc. But Iā€™m in the PHX, AZ area, so it is still hitting 80 in the afternoons. I realize there is a weather change though and still less daylight. Perhaps thatā€™s it.

It is pretty normal for them to stop laying in the winter. It has more to do with the amount of sunlight than the temperature. Ducks will stop laying eggs when they molt. It is a healthy thing for them to take a break from laying eggs.

However, since she laid a soft shelled egg, I would keep an eye on her for any unusual behavior. Soft shelled eggs are difficult for ducks to lay and put strain on the duck. Occasionally during the end of the season or when they start up again they can have trouble. I would get some calcium gluconate from TSC, and just have it on hand in case she needs some. If she has trouble again, you can give her the calcium gluconate, 1ml, twice a day till she lays her soft shelled egg. Then once a day until she starts laying normally. A luke warm bath will also help with the passing of soft shelled egg.
I live in Ohio and Iā€™ve had a similar problem my duck had just started laying and she was reliably laying every single day for several months and then she layed a soft shelled egg and has not laid an egg now for a month. The temperatures are in the 20-30s here in the Cincinnati area and the days are short. Are those contributing factors or should I try to increase her calcium intake via crunched up egg shells (from my chickens) or crunched up oyster shells that I can purchase at the feed store? Can they process those kinds of crunchy things the same as chicken do?

If you are seeing soft shell eggs then she needs some extra calcium. Just put a container close to the feed but not in it. Less daylight is the usual reason for not laying in winter. I keep oyster shell out year round here.

Back
Top Bottom