Duck stuck on it's back! Need help

wisdom_seeker

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 27, 2008
CT
I have a duck that was attacked last night by a fisher cat. It appears to have no cuts or wounds. I was able to scare the fisher away.

However all it does now is run very badly and put itself on it's back! It wants to just stay on it's back.

It also is kicking like it is trying to swim. It has been doing this all day today.

Any Ideas? Do I need to put the duck down?

Well I dont know a whole lot on fishers but I think their related to weasels and weasels tend to attack around the head area. My guess is that the duck has some sort of injury to its head or spine. It could be something that will take a few days to recover from but it could all so have permenat brain/spine injury. I had a duck hit by a car once and it would lay on its side and 'swim'. I did have to put it down as the injury was perminat.

Sounds like a broken spine to me. Are you sure it was a fisher? I cant imagine any way for a fisher to brake a ducks without bitting it, they only way about 10 pounds.

I had a young duckling that used to do that all the time. He seems to have grown out of it though. This is a much different situation because he was born that way, not attacked by another animal. Have you tried putting him on water to see if he stays floating upright?

Back
Top Bottom