Duck suddenly cannot walk

PearlTheDuck

Songster
5 Years
Oct 19, 2016
Texas
When I went out to check on my birds I noticed my 3 year old drake Wyatt unable to walk, I picked him up and noticed he is extremely lightweight as well. While I’m not handling my birds constantly, I usually notice things easily so this happened quickly. Those are the only 2 symptoms to go off of and in my nearly 5 years of owning ducks ive never had this happen. Any help appreciated

1608588362794.png

Using the graph above can you elucidate which scoring fits under your bird. This will help determine the emphasis in which should be provided on his part as far as supportive care goes.

If you haven't, pick the bird up, and thoroughly feel, and look over his legs, for any broken bones, warm spots, swelling, signs of discoloration, lesions on the footpads, etc.

Information pertaining to what the bird is being fed, where you acquired him, what breed he is, and what kind of environment he's housed in would also be helpful. For now, it may be best to move the duck into a warm, quiet, stress-free area with feed, and water provided. Tuna, peas, and/or scrambled eggs can be offered if he's not taking to his normal feed as much.

When I went out to check on my birds I noticed my 3 year old drake Wyatt unable to walk, I picked him up and noticed he is extremely lightweight as well. While I’m not handling my birds constantly, I usually notice things easily so this happened quickly. Those are the only 2 symptoms to go off of and in my nearly 5 years of owning ducks ive never had this happen. Any help appreciated
Please check your birdie's footpads for swelling, scabs etc. It could be a case of bumblefoot. Do share pics with us. Also, please inspect his entire body and try to see if you find any abnormalities.

I looked him over and i did find he has a little bit of bumblefoot but it is not severe at all (ive dealt with it in my ducks before and already have stuff to treat it) so i dont think thats the cause, especially since its like hes too weak to walk, not limping. Besides that, no other signs. Im now thinking it may be worms as it would explain the weight loss and such from what ive read. For now he is separated and im putting vitamins in his water, treating the bumblefoot, and deworming him. He is eating and drinking well which is hopeful.

Adding on, we feed the Dumor 16% layer feed, as our ducks and chickens are together. He is a blue swedish we got from TSC, and he is housed in our large coop with the rest of our chickens and ducks and they free range in the daytime.

I looked him over and i did find he has a little bit of bumblefoot but it is not severe at all (ive dealt with it in my ducks before and already have stuff to treat it) so i dont think thats the cause, especially since its like hes too weak to walk, not limping. Besides that, no other signs. Im now thinking it may be worms as it would explain the weight loss and such from what ive read. For now he is separated and im putting vitamins in his water, treating the bumblefoot, and deworming him. He is eating and drinking well which is hopeful.
I just wanted to share that my ducks foot didn't look bad at all whenever I discovered her bumblefoot. Turns out, her foot had already healed and the infection was in her bone. That was in Feb and now 10 months later, I am still working on her foot every night. Bumblefoot can become serious quickly, before we even realize it. I try to make a habit of checking feet on a weekly basis.

Certainly not saying this is what's going on with your Drake. You've got some experts here that will help you help your Drake. I wish you and your flock the very best

Here are some pics, wasn’t able to get any of his poo because the bedding he is on is so absorbent, but from what I’ve looked over nothing looked abnormal there.

8881FA1A-82C5-4723-98E4-1481F0073EF6.jpeg

7DC8052B-D2BA-4D38-A1C8-964D5B56FE82.jpeg

C279C76C-2C42-4457-A947-A15AEA5196B0.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom