Duck suddenly lame.

FlockMom45

In the Brooder
May 21, 2023
Hi guys, I know I'm supposed to go through the introduction process. And I'll do thst. But I'm kinda frantic at this moment. My 1 year old Pekin hen suddenly started stumbling and falling when she tries to walk. I know this can be a sign of Nitian Deficiency. An l immediately went and got Nutritional Yeast to add to her food. But I'm concerned that even catching it early I won't be able to help her bounce back. Here is the big catch that has me scratching my head.... I feed to all my flock (30 chickens and 3 pekin ducks) a 20% protien country companion all flock feed. As well as supplementing with scratch and worms ect. My chickens even get chicken safe table scraps and once or twice a month we add feeder fish to our pond for the ducks. Idk what I'm doing wrong! 😭😭😭 and I'm terrified. Please help. My ducks are our pets and I can't lose her.

Welcome to BYC! Doing the intro is not mandatory but we do like to get to know our members. :)

How much and often are they getting treats? Treats are nice, but to much to often can counteract with the actual nutrition of the feed making it ineffective. I'd start giving her some liquid vitamin B complex and see if that helps. About 1mil a day on some sort of treat will do the trick. Daily swim time will also help build strength in her legs again. Just make sure the swim is brief so she's not over overexerting herself.
I'd also check over her legs for swelling and anything that looks like it could be bumblefoot.

She may need actual niacin supplements to boost her. It's not a life threatening issue unless you don't treat her.
Where would I find niacin supplements? She's moving fine now.... I've been keeping a close eye on her but she won't let me separate her from our 2 month old babies cause she took them in an adopted them. But she was doing okay moving around. She stumbled and lost her balance and regained it and is doing fine now. Is it possible she twisted it earlier? I can post photos and show their area (it's my fenced in front yard.) My chickens are in the back so they are separated. And my pond is still a working progress. Sorry, rambling. I'm just so confused. And I've had ducks before when I was a child and we never had this issue an I've only had my current flock (new babies this year included) for a year. So I'm still learning all the new knowledge to having chickens and ducks

Where would I find niacin supplements? She's moving fine now.... I've been keeping a close eye on her but she won't let me separate her from our 2 month old babies cause she took them in an adopted them. But she was doing okay moving around. She stumbled and lost her balance and regained it and is doing fine now. Is it possible she twisted it earlier? I can post photos and show their area (it's my fenced in front yard.) My chickens are in the back so they are separated. And my pond is still a working progress. Sorry, rambling. I'm just so confused. And I've had ducks before when I was a child and we never had this issue an I've only had my current flock (new babies this year included) for a year. So I'm still learning all the new knowledge to having chickens and ducks
Vitamin section at the grocery store. Some breeds are more prone to these issues.

Welcome to BYC! Doing the intro is not mandatory but we do like to get to know our members. :)

How much and often are they getting treats? Treats are nice, but to much to often can counteract with the actual nutrition of the feed making it ineffective. I'd start giving her some liquid vitamin B complex and see if that helps. About 1mil a day on some sort of treat will do the trick. Daily swim time will also help build strength in her legs again. Just make sure the swim is brief so she's not over overexerting herself.
I'd also check over her legs for swelling and anything that looks like it could be bumblefoot.
They get about a cup maybe two of scratch scattered around the yard in the morning and worms once or twice a day. Truthfully my ducks get less then the chickens cause my chickens are bossy 🙈 and more demanding and my ducks are picky. Just liquid B complex from the store is okay? I'll go get some an start adding that. Is the flake nutritional yeast okay? It's not bread yeast but the ones that says B3 on it.

They get about a cup maybe two of scratch scattered around the yard in the morning and worms once or twice a day. Truthfully my ducks get less then the chickens cause my chickens are bossy 🙈 and more demanding and my ducks are picky. Just liquid B complex from the store is okay? I'll go get some an start adding that. Is the flake nutritional yeast okay? It's not bread yeast but the ones that says B3 on it.
Yes, that will work. You don't have to give the yeast if you give just give her the liquid B3.

Yes, that will work. You don't have to give the yeast if you give just give her the liquid B3.
Okay. All my store has in stock is flavored. Lol but I'll send the hubby to the store to get some for her. Is it safe for the babies too in case I have to put it on something they all share?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230521_194542_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230521_194542_Chrome.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 3
Okay. All my store has in stock is flavored. Lol but I'll send the hubby to the store to get some for her. Is it safe for the babies too in case I have to put it on something they all share?
I'm not entirely sure if flavored is okay. @Miss Lydia?

It is safe for babies, but would you be able to separate the lame duck from the others so she can eat more freely?

Back
Top Bottom