Duck suddenly lethargic and slow walking Saturday morning

Poultry cell, if you decide to use the activated charcoal get the capsules then just open it up and add to his water via instructions on the info I gave you.

Okay that's what I thought but just wanted to be sure. I did end up trying to give him the poultry cell but not all went into his mouth, so I might try to give him a bit more. Poor guy, he seems to perk up a bit when he's in the pool, dunking his head and holding his head higher but when he's out he is unable to stand. Earlier this morning he had to take breaks on hills but was still able to go across the flat lawn to forage in the small wooded area. Now he can't seem to stand and tries to use his wings as leverage. :-( Can stand in the pool because of the boyancy but not on land.

And your sure this isn't a niacin deficiency sure sounds like it could be.
Hi! I had thought of that but wasn't sure so wanted to see what others thought. I've been adding the eggs fresh daily brewers yeast to their waterfowl feed since they were around two weeks old. They also get lots of peas and some other veggies that have some niacin. Can niacin deficiencies start with lethargy and lack of appetite and slowing down? I'm not sure, I'm a new duck owner so still learning alot :). I read a lot about it before and after I got them and they all said they noticed leg issues but nothing that i can recall about appetite, etc. He started moving around a bit this evening, I was actually surprised at the distance he made but then it was back to struggling. He started using his voice more but then tonight when he tries it's just a faint sound coming from him. Bringing him to the vet tomorrow morning just to be safe.

And your sure this isn't a niacin deficiency sure sounds like it could be.
He has been in his enclosure since 6pm and hasn't moved from where he's sitting. I put a shallow dish of water where he usually sits but he's in a different area and if I put it there he could easily spill it when trying to adjust himself. When I try to offer him water, hold the dish near him he won't drink it. He seemed to drink a good amount during the day so hopefully he'll be fine.

Is he okay to sit in the same spot all night? Will it effect circulation in his legs and feet? I'm concerned with him having the standing issues hes had today that it'll be hard for him to stand for sure tomorrow after being in the same spot for so long.

I've searched online and haven't found anything

I would let him have water therapy a couple times a day to get his legs moving and get the circulation going. Having him do some water therapy would be easier than forcing him to get up and move. Is he eating?

I would let him have water therapy a couple times a day to get his legs moving and get the circulation going. Having him do some water therapy would be easier than forcing him to get up and move. Is he eating?
He gets lots of water therapy during the day 👍. He was seeming most at ease in the water and I thought too it would be good for his legs for sure. Was hoping it was okay for him to stay stationary as he chose at night but wanted to be sure. He's still not eating much. A couple peas here and there and some worms and slugs as I can find them. He's drinking well it seems.
Brought him to the vet this morning and she believes he has a calcium deficiency. What I've been giving him is supposed to be fine for him and his age, etc but she said some ducks are more prone to deficiency. She gave me a calcium supplement prescription to give him daily via syringe and suggested offering oyster shells.
His joints aren't inflamed or warm so she's not concerned with infection or niacin deficiency.
She said should be seeing improvement within a week or two.
I asked if I could give him the recovery powder I wasn't given by them for another duck I had brought in for something else and she said yes I could offer it via small syringe every hour.

Back
Top Bottom