Duck suddenly lethargic and slow walking Saturday morning

I've given them antibiotics before but will definitely look it over! Thank you!
Does a calcium deficiency sound right for a drake? I'd never heard of that before.
I've given them antibiotics before but will definitely look it over! Thank you!
Does a calcium deficiency sound right for a drake? I'd never heard of that before.

I sure hope all your doing helps.
I don't know if I gave you this info but this shows how to give liquid meds with out causing aspiration.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
I checked out the link and I've seen it before. I had tried before to look in the back of the ducks mouth before and wasn't able to see in to the back or the throat like it shows with the chicken.... Too much duck tongue lol. I ended up trying to just have it back far enough so it didn't leak out the mouth and seemed to work ok. This time when I did it after about an hour or so heard occasional gurgling sound. Could it be from aspiration? I was thinking if it was it would've been right after giving the med? Hopefully not but at the same time I don't want him to have more of a problem then the vet thinks. If aspiration occurs what's the best thing to do? The dosage for the calcium is a tiny one of 0.35ml and it's gel li
I hadn't heard of a drake having a calcium deficiency but I did find this information which says it does happen.
https://www.versele-laga.com/en/gb/...cognise-and-avoid-calcium-deficiency-in-birds
Thank you! I'll check it out! The vet seemed certain it wasn't anything else without performing any testing, X-rays etc. I just hope she's right cause i don't want to be giving him excess calcium if he doesn't need it

When I give meds I make sure to hold the tongue down when I open the bill so I can see where to put the syringe. Having the liquid go into the lungs can cause pneumonia so you want to make sure you get it in the right place. If you can get someone to help that might help you get someone to hold the duck that way you have both hands to work with. At least until you feel more comfortable doing it on your own. What you see in the chickens mouth is right where the syringe goes in the ducks mouth.

When I give meds I make sure to hold the tongue down when I open the bill so I can see where to put the syringe. Having the liquid go into the lungs can cause pneumonia so you want to make sure you get it in the right place. If you can get someone to help that might help you get someone to hold the duck that way you have both hands to work with. At least until you feel more comfortable doing it on your own. What you see in the chickens mouth is right where the syringe goes in the ducks mouth.
Just seemed easier cause it looks like it's easier to see in a chickens mouth :) I hadn't thought to try holding the ducks tongue down. I reached out to the vet about the calcium supplement and she said being a tiny amount and a gel like substance it's unlikely to cause any issues during the administering process. I gave him some recovery formula tonight with one of the large syringes with the extended tip and just made sure I could feel the syringe all the way to the right of his mouth from the outside and injected a little at a time making sure he was swallowing and giving him a sec before giving more. I had him wrapped in a towel on the lawn and straddled him between my legs. He was really good. A little came out his nose (as did the antibiotic when the vet I brought another of my drakes to gave him his first dose at the clinic... I blew it out his nose and into my face cause I was standing next to him lol). When all done I gave him a worm (worms and slugs being the main thing he'll willingly eat a bunch of right now... like he's starving) and unwrapped him. There was no coughing during the process. After I brought him to his night time enclosure.

He's currently coughing now, usually when I walk in unannounced. Got another vet appointment tomorrow. They were reluctant to do testing when I brought him in last time. And quickly dismissed my concerns about other things. They said those things like infection, illness or eating foreign object, botulism, etc was unlikely. I asked today when I spoke to someone there about possibility of a parasite but wasn't given answer yet. They are supposed to get back to me. I said at first I wasn't sure if I should bring him in but then with him coughing I feel like I should. So I just made the appointment anyway.

They can get poop from him and check for parasites. I hope someone will help you 🙏
Okay thank you! I'll ask them to! Hopefully they can get a good sample. He's mostly drinking over eating so his stool is very watery.
I spoke with a vet online who was less concerned about parasites though he said it wouldn't be bad to test for it and more concerned about doing radiographs to check his lungs/air sacs for airway disease.
I hope they'll listen, it's hard going to a vet and requesting things, they sometimes look at you like you've got 3 heads :) Also hope it's not gonna be too expensive, I am only able to spend so much and of course it has to be paid cash :-( Between 3 of my ducks we've spent quite a bit, though I will say some of the bills were less than expected. Do you think animal insurance covers ducks?

Mr Kody went to the vet and they heard the cough and I also had video of the clicking sound and a good one of a harder cough. He seems to mainly make it when you touch him and he doesn't wanna be touched or if I walk out to the porch where he is for part of the day and he's startled. Sometimes he does it anyway but it's definitely been more frequent.
She doesn't think it's toxicity/botulism causing the lameness, etc because there are no significant neurological signs. I showed her the video of his head ticking last night but it's so minor she said it's hard to tell if it's neurological or that he's just irritated with something. I believe she also mentioned if it were toxicity it would have progressed much faster and he would be way worse than he is right now.
She thinks it's a possibility of pneumonia and prescribed antibiotics for that because of the coughing. I asked about a radiograph to check his lungs and air sacs for fluid and she said that the symptoms are so minor right now and no discharge from the nose that it probably wouldn't show up.
She also prescribed a second antibiotic for another organism. The scripts are Doxycycline and Clavamox.
She checked for fungus in the mouth which she said would be white in color and didn't see any.
I contacted them and asked if they'd like me to bring a stool sample and they said yes. They agreed it would be a good idea to test for parasites as a precaution and I should hear back Monday with results.
I asked how long it would be before I should be seeing results with the antibiotics and they said within 24-48hrs and let me know symptoms to look for as far as difficulty breathing.
I'm sure there's something I'm forgetting to mention, there was so much information. I texted them with more questions and to confirm on certain things to make sure I understood correctly.

Back
Top Bottom