1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck suggestions?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AstralStorm, Jun 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. AstralStorm

AstralStorm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2016
    Hi everyone. I got a pair of call ducks last year and I love them! I'd love to get some different breeds soon. So I'd like a breed that is quite easy to tame and friendly. The bigger the personality, the better. I'd like a duck that is attractively coloured if that makes sense(sorry pekin lovers). Egg laying isn't very important to me but it'd be a nice plus. Some breeds that interest me are-
    Anconas
    Silver Appleyard
    Welsh Harlequin
    Runners
    Cayuga

Please share your opinions and experiences with these breeds:) also please suggest any other breeds that you like!

2. gal5150

gal5150 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2016
    California
    I have a Cayuga and a WH and they're both lovely, inside and out, good egg producers, and very fun! My Cayuga hands down is Ms. Personality....a diva but at the end of the day a total love bug. My WH is more of a duck's duck, but very sweet and quiet. Only thing that might turn you off of a Cayuga is that over time they become nearly all white, if not all white, feet and bill orange up, etc. But I think that's part of the fun....getting to watch her continue to change. Either breed are great choices, IMO!

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Appleyard are fantastic Ducks...Very pretty too....:frow

4. AstralStorm

AstralStorm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2016
    thank you both! I had never heard that about Cayugas, that sounds super cool!

gal5150 likes this.
  5. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    I have two silver appleyards. They lay real well, an egg a day! I just got them now as adults though, so they are not as friendly as I want yet. Hopefully that will change ;)
    But I do have two saxony ducks, and not only do they lay just as well, but one is REALLY nice and friendly. Best pet duck ever :p and they are very nicely coloured ducks as well ;)

Edit: album of my Saxony duck ;) https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/albums/heidi.7427551/

Evergray likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by