Duck suggestions?

AstralStorm

Chirping
Aug 9, 2016
Hi everyone. I got a pair of call ducks last year and I love them! I'd love to get some different breeds soon. So I'd like a breed that is quite easy to tame and friendly. The bigger the personality, the better. I'd like a duck that is attractively coloured if that makes sense(sorry pekin lovers). Egg laying isn't very important to me but it'd be a nice plus. Some breeds that interest me are-
Anconas
Silver Appleyard
Welsh Harlequin
Runners
Cayuga

Please share your opinions and experiences with these breeds:) also please suggest any other breeds that you like!

I have a Cayuga and a WH and they're both lovely, inside and out, good egg producers, and very fun! My Cayuga hands down is Ms. Personality....a diva but at the end of the day a total love bug. My WH is more of a duck's duck, but very sweet and quiet. Only thing that might turn you off of a Cayuga is that over time they become nearly all white, if not all white, feet and bill orange up, etc. But I think that's part of the fun....getting to watch her continue to change. Either breed are great choices, IMO!

I have two silver appleyards. They lay real well, an egg a day! I just got them now as adults though, so they are not as friendly as I want yet. Hopefully that will change ;)
But I do have two saxony ducks, and not only do they lay just as well, but one is REALLY nice and friendly. Best pet duck ever :p and they are very nicely coloured ducks as well ;)

Edit: album of my Saxony duck ;) https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/albums/heidi.7427551/

Back
Top Bottom