- - dUcK tAlK - -

Nessy the wood duck is beautiful
cool.png
Do you have connections to get Mandarins ?
caf.gif
I would love to get a pair to add to our flock. I belive they would be a be hit at 4H:clap
Please anyone let me know. Thanks karan in Missouri

karanleaf ~
thanks
I only have mandarins right now, I had a wood duckling but we think the female that laid the eggs may not have been 100% healthy because all of her babies that hatched died within 24hours. None of the other woodies or mandarins we had with them died, just the ones from the one female. Maybe someone has experience with this kind of thing? It was a first for me.
hmm.png

Hopefully I will have birds nesting next year, the ducklings I have this year were given to me by a friend. I had bought eggs but I used an automatic turner and found out later that my incubator was to cold so I did not hatch anything. If I do hatch babies I am going to try to sell them locally before shipping them anywhere, just too stressful.

Have you been on eggbid.com lately? There are a lot of mandarins on there now. If you want ducklings try emailing the guy selling the teal ducklings I know he has mandarins, that’s where I bought my eggs, maybe he will be listing some ducklings later on?

Last edited:
This is a great subject! I'm new to ducks and hatched out 5 Rouen mixes from my 2 adults and would very much like to see how you house them in cold seasons and warm as well if possible?

Thanks for all your photos!
smile.png

We converted my garden/storage shed into a duck shed last fall. I out roofing paper down along the ground along the walls then my DH stacked strawbales all along the 3 walls, 4 rows high, we use 2 bulbs for heat source. this made it cozy for the pair, Peanut & Butter were very snug. It was nice & toasty for me as well when I went to sit & visit with them during some of the winter days or nights. I will try to post some pics

Shed before converted
[URL]http://www.backyardch[/URL]

sorry I can't get the others to load will try again later

i've got 5 mini appleyards and 6 welsh harlequins. just love the minis they are so cute. think i only got 1 duck, so i'll have some drakes for sale. don't know on the harlies yet. haven't decided what i'm keeping on those, a pair, 2 ducks or a trio. ideas?

hey how old are they when they get their drake feathers? and is there an age by when they should be quacking? a couple have started, don't know if that means the rest are drakes or if they're just not yet quaking, they're 7 weeks. could have color sexed them as day-olds had i known that:/

can't upload pics though, tells me they gotta be jpeg even though they are.

Not sure about other breeds but with my Indian Runners it’s the drakes whose voices change first, and the females keep their awkward squeak for another few weeks after.

I your having trouble with the whole photo deal try uploading your images onto photobucket.com it hosts your images for free and sets up the coding so all you have to do is paste it in.

hey duck people i have a ?, i just hatched my first duck and i put it in with my baby chicks and i have 2 more pepping right now, but i read about how chick starter is bad for them, just now that is and he has been in there for about 16hrs and i have seen him/her eat some, just wondering how bad that is for them and what i should buy to feed him? thanks

Back
Top Bottom