Duck tears?

Ellyhutch

Songster
Dec 15, 2020
My 8-month-old Muscovy sometimes gets tears in her eyes while she is preening. Clear, sticky tears. She has no other symptoms like redness, foaming, yellow feathers, etc. that would lead me to believe it's any kind of infection. Anyone ever seen this before??

I’m not an expert on ducks, I just have them. Is she getting enough dunking water? They have to dunk there eyes in water often for there eyes to stay damp. They might be watering because they are so dry.

I’m not an expert on ducks, I just have them. Is she getting enough dunking water? They have to dunk there eyes in water often for there eyes to stay damp. They might be watering because they are so dry.

Yes she has two deep containers that she can submerge her head in up to her neck and I change the water 2-3 times a day to keep it clean, I also put them in the bath every couple of days to splash around (they are rescues that live in my apartment). She doesn't really seem to be into dunking her head - her rescue brother is an ancona and he loves to dunk.

My 8-month-old Muscovy sometimes gets tears in her eyes while she is preening. Clear, sticky tears. She has no other symptoms like redness, foaming, yellow feathers, etc. that would lead me to believe it's any kind of infection. Anyone ever seen this before??
My three year old mallard female does the same thing. Based on that and some searches I’ve done, the tears are normal. It’s oily tears to waterproof her feathers.

Back
Top Bottom