Duck Training HELP!!!

My runners are fairly tame, but I won't even TRY to pick them up unless I absolutely have to, and even then, I have to corner them and they hate it. My mallards are the same; look but don't touch.

But I didn't get them for touching, and next spring I'm letting my kids raise some ducklings so they can have some tame ones. ;)

They do respond to voice, though, and they are very imprintable, which means that if they do trust you, its a very secure trust, like you are part of the flock... Mine know I won't hurt them and come when called, but they still get nervous if they can't see me until they hear me... I just say, "hey duck duck s" whenever they're around and they got used to the phrase to mean food or bedtime. :)

Mine don't get treats, really. They go to the creek and free range all day and come home at 4:30 to a pan of corn. I guess that's their treat lol, just corn. Sometimes they'll snag a goodie the chickens are working on, but really they just aren't interested in anything but bugs and weeds ;)

Last edited:
My ducks are pretty tame, even my Runner. All it takes is patience and TLC. Like everyone else said, lots of goodies and talking. Even if you don't use goodies, their normal food will do just as well. Feed them, talk to them, let him learn to trust you.

It took a couple of months but mine are actually pretty imprinted on me and all I ever did was feed them every morning and give them duck showers with the water hose (ducks love a good shower just as much as they love treats I think...mine do at least. It's adorable to watch.
bun.gif
)
Now they follow me everywhere I go and come when called. They actually let me scoop them up without too much trouble...although I wouldn't go saying they enjoy being picked up very much.

Be patient and kind, Ducks are smart(sometimes...kinda LOL) he will figure out you mean good things before too long. ;)

@Amiga I always talk to animals to XD because my friend has a blind horse so around him we have to speak to him heaps! He is a bit traumatized from moving but it was a small car trip and he is way better now. The female gets on with him very well. I tried the treats idea but he refused to even look at it. So i got the hose and sprayed them gently with it and he relaxed for about 1 minute then he walked away .
Thanks Amiga for all the information you have helped me very much
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom