Duck Twitching and Shaking + Lethargic

BlackRaven27

Chirping
May 29, 2021
Good Morning all,

It seems to be one thing after another here at my place with my ducks..

Last night we took our 2 1/2 week old ducklings out for a walk and we noticed that one had her eyes closed. She was falling asleep while everyone else was rummaging around. We picked her up and she struggled for half a second and then instantly fell asleep, or became unconscious, and we knew something was very wrong. She separated her, gave her food and water neither of which seems to have been touched. She was very very mildly shaking last night.

This morning she is convulsing. Her legs go into a spasm similar to what you see in Parkinsons patients. She flipped on her side, and then on her back. While we leave her alone her symptons are much less. She just sleeps.

I wonder of she ate something poisonous? She gets plenty of niacin and all her sister are fine (autosexing breed).

My parter wonders if its duck pneumonia?
Her bedding has been damp when i get home from work and it was humid for the week or so when we had 4 brooder lamps for varying batches.

We will call vet this morning for antibiotics but in the interm - any thoughts?

UPDATE - She passed away shortly after making this post. I can only imagine she ate something she should not have when we were not looking.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom