Duck vent--does this look normal?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TwoDogFarm, Feb 10, 2015.

1. TwoDogFarm

TwoDogFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2014
    North Carolina
    I am hoping that someone can help me out. We have had some real issues with our ducks lately. I had one to prolapse and die in less than 24 hours. Not even a week later, we had one become egg bound with an extremely swollen vent. So I'm kind of paranoid right now. I picked another one of my ducks up today and looked at her vent and I'm a little worried. I've posted a pic below but it almost seems like there is something coming from inside that is coming out and closing her vent off. Is this normal? She has been overmated by a very active drake lately. Maybe that would explain what this is? I hate to say it but I'm really not sure what a normal vent should look like and Google didn't help much.

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    With out going out and grabbing one of my ducks up to look at her vent i am just going to say that doesn't look to worrisome. can't see what your talking about as far as something coming out closing her vent off but I would give your drake sometime out and let the girls have a break from mating. This could just be from being over mated. Can you let her soak in a nice warm bath and see how it looks then. maybe take another pic after wards. and we'll compare.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by