Duck was attacked had to be pts I'm heartbroken

tanithcrane

Songster
6 Years
Dec 30, 2016
Hello
I feel like I need some advice or reassurance
Last night I came home from work at half 9 and my husband hadn't put the ducks and chickens away, a fox had got into the coop and caused chaos resulting in a Injured duck whick I have given antibiotics too and cleaned the wounds and applied antiseptic ointment she's doing really well
And another duck keeps tucking leg under and standing with one leg I keep trying to have a look but he's quite aggressive and hard to catch but he was running absolutely fine and chasing me off 🙄
However our oldest lady came off the worst with a crushed trachea and collapsed lung and internal injuries
She had a few puncture wounds around her neck back and underbelly we took her to the vet but was nothing they could do she was unable to stand and just laying there I had to put her to sleep
I'm so devasted and haven't cried this much in a long long time
I think it's the shock of what happened and the fact it could have been prevented and she had alot of life in her still
Did I do the right thing by putting her to sleep?? Would she have eventually recovered?
Feel like I need a little closure 😢

You did the right thing. This happened to me a few days ago. She was molting so she went off into the woods so that the flock wouldn't peck her. She did that for a week and one night didn't come back. The next night we heard her screaming in the woods. I called her and she came running. We held her and she was at such a peace just knowing that she was safe and in our arms. We had to put her down, it was just so awful and she was in SO much pain. It is cruel to keep an animal alive when their in extreme pain. People do that with dogs all the time, their lives hanging onto pills and other medication. It's cruel and you totally did the right thing. I'm so sorry that happened to you 😭

:hugs Yes. You did the right thing. I'm sorry for your loss.
I know the feeling of losing a duck to a fox and also feeling like I could have prevented it. It is heart breaking for sure. ❤

You did the right thing. This happened to me a few days ago. She was molting so she went off into the woods so that the flock wouldn't peck her. She did that for a week and one night didn't come back. The next night we heard her screaming in the woods. I called her and she came running. We held her and she was at such a peace just knowing that she was safe and in our arms. We had to put her down, it was just so awful and she was in SO much pain. It is cruel to keep an animal alive when their in extreme pain. People do that with dogs all the time, their lives hanging onto pills and other medication. It's cruel and you totally did the right thing. I'm so sorry that happened to you 😭
Ohh no I'm so sorry for your loss x 😥
They all have there own personalities
Yes dogs are put through it all the time and sometimes you got to make a decision for there sake
They had good lives and that's what we got to remember 💙

:hugs Yes. You did the right thing. I'm sorry for your loss.
I know the feeling of losing a duck to a fox and also feeling like I could have prevented it. It is heart breaking for sure. ❤
Thankyou
It is the hardest thing miss her so much
I'm sorry for your loss too they are like family 💙

Hello
I feel like I need some advice or reassurance
Last night I came home from work at half 9 and my husband hadn't put the ducks and chickens away, a fox had got into the coop and caused chaos resulting in a Injured duck whick I have given antibiotics too and cleaned the wounds and applied antiseptic ointment she's doing really well
And another duck keeps tucking leg under and standing with one leg I keep trying to have a look but he's quite aggressive and hard to catch but he was running absolutely fine and chasing me off 🙄
However our oldest lady came off the worst with a crushed trachea and collapsed lung and internal injuries
She had a few puncture wounds around her neck back and underbelly we took her to the vet but was nothing they could do she was unable to stand and just laying there I had to put her to sleep
I'm so devasted and haven't cried this much in a long long time
I think it's the shock of what happened and the fact it could have been prevented and she had alot of life in her still
Did I do the right thing by putting her to sleep?? Would she have eventually recovered?
Feel like I need a little closure 😢
You did the right thing:hugs, and also great job with taking care of your other birds! Its really really hard to lose a bird, or any animal. You did the most you could for her. You have my support:hugs

Everyone has lost a beloved animal at one point. I lost my gorgeous, beautiful head hen Liz. She had a tumor, and our vet made it clear our only choice was the surgery. It did not go well. Animals get sick, and hurt, and sometimes all you can do is give them a peaceful passing. Do you really want to keep a chicken who just sits there in pain? Chickens are meant to dig, and scratch, and play around. To your sweet hen, it was probably a blur, and then she woke up as strong as she was in her youth, and where every other chicken who passed is. You will get through this just fine. Chickens are meant to be super healthy and happy, and she would have never recovered, and if she somehow survived, she would be in pain for all her days. You did exactly what a responsible chicken owner would do. It would be someone who kept her in pain that I would worry isn’t doing the right thing. You just need to give it some time, and remind yourself of all the fun times you had with her, and not the one bad night. Would you really have chosen to never have her? You gave her the best life you could have given her, and you and her will be reunited one day. It’s not goodbye, it’s see you later.

You did the right thing:hugs, and also great job with taking care of your other birds! Its really really hard to lose a bird, or any animal. You did the most you could for her. You have my support:hugs
Aww thankyou 😊 I've learnt alot from on here
It is really hard she was such a character the chickens loved her and they would follow each other round the garden

This happened to me before, different situation. I failed to properly protect my brooder when I was raising chicks. I had a swimming pool brooder in our garage, which I wrapped in cardboard which was secured with a chinch down strap. Then covered the top with chicken wire. For the door, I simply cut a square out of the cardboard and secured it in place with reusable cable ties.
A family member brought her dog to the property, which was fine for a day. I left for a moment to grab a vacuum, and came back to her crying. The dog had grabbed one of my chicks, and dropped her back on the ground. She had internal injuries, and didn't last long. I didn't have to put her down, but the feeling of failure and loss is horrible.

I'm so sorry you had to go through this, its the worst when you feel responsible. Just remember you did everything you could do, and made the right decision in the end.
I let my Smudge live for a few extra hours just because I didn't want to except that she wouldn't recover. I couldn't sleep and came down at midnight prepared to cull her, as I could hear her thrashing. Her death was merciless, there was thrashing, and squawking, it was horrible. This was several weeks ago, I have learned so much since then, and my flock will be better for it.
I didn't have to cull her, she did it for me. I feel worse about that situation than I do about the chick. Smudge died from an unknown disease, and I made a bad decision to not cull her earlier, even though I had no control over her illness. You did everything right, don't ever doubt that. Your birds will only be better for it. I'm so sorry for your loss. :hugs:hugs

Back
Top Bottom