Duck water ideas for winter?

Hi! I live in Minnesota and it gets verrrrry cold in the winter, last winter my duckies got by with just a heated gallon water dish, but this winter I would like them to have more water/ a better winter. Towards the end of the winter last year they’re bills were getting dry and their feathers were dirty. But when I gave them a pool they look perfectly healthy again! So does anyone have any ideas on what to do with their water in the winter that isn’t too expensive? Or just things that have worked for you guys in the winter? (When I said Minnesota gets cold in the winter I mean -30 to -50 some days sometimes colder)
I live in wisconsin (albet south east wisco) so it also can get cold. I have a 3 season pool for my ducks (a very large one that we use a small sump pump to drain each day)
And a smaller "winter" pool thats just a smallish kiddie pool. I pull this pool out when it gets below freezing at night/evenings since the pump obviously will get frozen up and i am NOT hand bailing the large pool. ANYWAYS i use a de-icer for the winter in the smaller pool allowing them to swim and have water. Because i am paranoid they will get burned i put the de-icer through a terra cotta pot so ducks dont ever come in direct contact with the de-icer. It doesnt always keep the whole pool thawed 100% there sometimes is a thin layer of ice over the parts farther from the device but the ducks can break through if they wanted or stepped on it. Even -20 days it worked enough to give them at least drinking water. - now i do hand bail the pool each night and give fresh water in the morning (i have to pull the house from inside my garage out to them). We had 2 weeks where it was -30 or colder and that was simply too cold for my comfort zone so they lived in the garage during that time so idk how it would do that cold lol. Hope it helps

Farm Innovators Model C-500 Submergible Cast Aluminum "Around The Farm" Utility De-Icer, 500-Watt https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BWR7RG/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_H6VDGJCWNFAK4QM5P2W6

Back
Top Bottom