Duck with a broken leg

DanieC

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 5, 2016
Hi,
We have a duck with a broken leg. I know he’s in pain but our local Bird docs are on vacation. He’s all splinted and caged so he won’t get more injuries but he’s also not use to being handled. He’s drinking and pooping but not eating even with adding peas and green beans to his water. Is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable?

Is sounds like you're doing the right thing. It's possible he isn't eating due to the stress or pain of the injury. In that case, there isn't much you can do. Just hope that he starts eating. You can apply an ice pack to help reduce swelling and pain, just follow the basic rules of using one (not directly on the skin, for short bits at a time through the day, don't let him get too cold, etc.). Are his bones aligned correctly? You don't want it to heal the wrong way.

Is sounds like you're doing the right thing. It's possible he isn't eating due to the stress or pain of the injury. In that case, there isn't much you can do. Just hope that he starts eating. You can apply an ice pack to help reduce swelling and pain, just follow the basic rules of using one (not directly on the skin, for short bits at a time through the day, don't let him get too cold, etc.). Are his bones aligned correctly? You don't want it to heal the wrong way.
That's what I'm thinking too. I've started him on CBD oil to see if that will help the pain. He's not keen on being held so its usually a fight to get ahold of him even in the cage. He does let me touch his leg though so I can be sure its not cold and is keeping its color. Not sure if he will let me hold an ice pack on it. His bones where aligned when I splinted it so I'm hoping they still are. I've only put him in the tub to clean off once and that was quite the chore so I'm not keen on doing that again and the vet told me to change the splint that day so hopefully it was still good. I agree, I don't want him to have to deal with this again.

Your duck really needs to see a vet. When will your vet be back, is there another one nearby?

Could you post a picture of the duck?

Do you know where the break occurred?

1596075233146.png

Your duck really needs to see a vet. When will your vet be back, is there another one nearby?

Could you post a picture of the duck?

Do you know where the break occurred?

View attachment 2267980
Left Tarsometatarsus is where the break is....its splinted and the swelling is going down. He stood up and flapped his wings today so that was a good sign. It happened 8 days ago. The two vets in the area that take care of birds, chickens, ducks, etc are on vacation until next week. I've called one of them and he said I've done all that he would have and he will check with me when he returns. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

CBD is a great idea. You can also crush up 1/2- a whole baby aspirin for him too, I used this for a chicken I had with a sprained ankle.
I'm putting two drops (1=500mg/full spectrum) in a dish of water; one of the 8" rubber ones. Not really sure if its enough but I don't want to do too much either. He's not eating or not enough for me to tell either so not sure how I would give him aspirin unless I can put it in the water.

CBD is a great idea. You can also crush up 1/2- a whole baby aspirin for him too, I used this for a chicken I had with a sprained ankle.
I'm putting two drops (1=500mg/full spectrum) in a dish of water; one of the 8" rubber ones. Not really sure if its enough but I don't want to do too much either. He's not eating or not enough for me to tell either so not sure how I would give him aspirin unless I can put it in the water.

Back
Top Bottom