Duck with a cold???

Eric howie

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 22, 2012
I'm curious to hear if anyone can answer a few questions for me. I have 3 domestic ducks and about 4 days ago one started wheezing, I tried finding a Dr. around the area but none are available. I went to the local feed store and bought some Vet RX and medicated crumbles(Aureomycin) to mix with its feed. The duck is secluded from the 2 others and my 2 week old chicks I am raising. The duck had some discharge from its nostrils that I am able to keep clean with the Vet Rx, along with alittle discharge from the eyes. Shes hasn't been wheezing since I clean her nasal ways but has a little discharge. What does this sound like it could be to anyone. A cold, or is it a respiratory illness. She is eating and drinking but does seem to be either lonely or fatigued. How long should I keep the duck on medicated crumbles and how long should keep her away from the rest of the birds?? I can't chance getting my chickens sick or nor do I want to feed them anything medicated because they are for eating. I'm in the process now of building a separate house for the ducks. Any advice please..

Welcome Eric howie,

Sounds like your duck has the beginnings of a sinus and possibly eye infection. Keeping the nares clean helps prevent that, and if it is not too far along, may be very minor.

I am not familiar with the medicated crumbles, perhaps you could share what the dosage is for the duck, since sharing this kind of information helps us all.

Does the duck have constant access to clean (I know, it is relative when it comes to ducks) water so she can clean her entire head? What's the setup like? Type of bedding? Feed?

Please stay in touch . . . I hope we can help out. Sounds like you are being proactive, which is great.

The mixture of the medicated crumble is a .4-.8 g to every pound of feed. .1 is equal to a teaspoon. The ducks don't have constant access to water to swim in but recently started putting them in the bathtub. Its still a bit cold where i'm from to be putting them outside in the water I would think. The duck loves the water and does make it a point to get all cleaned up. I recently today put all 3 in the tub together and now have them bedded together away from the chickens. The bedding is made of pine shavings atop newspaper. She doesn't seem to be in any discomfort from what I can tell and I hate to keep her away from the rest, but still concerned. I guess all I can really do is just keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't get any worse.

I feel that the opportunity to bathe in lukewarm fresh water makes a big difference when they are fighting any kind of infection, especially sinus, ear or eye. Seems dustiness can cause them some troubles. That's one reason I do "room service" when no one (duck wise) is around, so any dust from straw bedding will settle or blow away before they get in there.

I agree that if it's chilly, and a duck is coming down with something, that the brisk outdoor swim is not necessarily a good idea. Healthy adult ducks, sure.

Please keep us posted and thanks for sharing the dosage information. If you ever have photo's to upload, many of us love to oooh and ash over ducks!

love.gif

Back
Top Bottom