Duck with a weird leg injury..?

paulandashia

Songster
11 Years
Mar 30, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
I have 2 young cayuga mix ducks (along with my 10 adults). They are just about fully feathered, with a couple little fuzz tuffs here and there. Wings are almost completely grown out too...
A bit over a week ago one of the youngsters started limping... Over the course of a week, the limp has been getting worse... I checked the leg over and over, and though it felt warm, nothing seemed out of the ordinary... Then today, I noticed a lump on the top of the foot, where the toes meet. It was soft, and 'off' looking. I brought the youngster inside, and with the help of a friend, I used a sterile needle to pierce the skin... I was expecting pus, and instead, all this weird yellow colored watery liquid came out, like something you would see in a blister...
We went ahead and squeezed the foot as best as we could, until blood started coming out, then we gave antibiotic shots... (Penicilin, and Biomycin) I am planning to administer antibiotics for 10 consecutive days... But I have NO idea what this is?
Any ideas???

An infection in poultry is often a more " cottage cheese" like consistency- so that fact that what came out of the lump was fluid is a good sign.

Continuing the antibiotics is a good idea. Did you take any photos of the lump at all ? If it reforms- if you could post a photo here it may help people to give you an idea of what is going on with your duck.

Best wishes for the little one to have a speedy recovery and be back on its feet again soon.

Back
Top Bottom