Duck with black spots on bill

Hope i get some feedback please... I have a duck that lives at home by himself so no other contact with ducks or other animals have happened. He had a bruise looking spot under his lower bill and later on it became black and now it even looks like a patch like it lifted a bit but is still on the bill, its not smooth like how it was before the bruise and even when it looked like a bruise. And he also had a scrape on the top of his bill which dried up but then now it looks like a little deep "wound" no blood or anything but i try to dab alcohol on it cuz it looks "open". Then another thing i noticed is he suddenly has this tiny "acne" looking bump on the corner of where the nail starts to come down on his upper bill and its weird cuz its not soft or tender feeling but it sure wasn't there before. I seems hard to find a vet that can look at my duck in this area where we are and it's really frustrating.

If you can upload photos that would help.

It could be an infection, an injury . . . bacterial or fungal or viral . . . What have you done to treat it so far? Does it smell bad?

I would drop a few drops of hydrogen peroxide on it and see if it foams. Then rinse it off thoroughly.

Please tell us what he eats, and what his day is like. It helps us imagine what may be going on.

Also, I would start rinsing it with saline solution four times a day - you can make your own, there is a recipe on WebMD.

If it is a bacterial infection (the hydrogen peroxide foams), I would follow the saline solution with antibiotic cream (no pain reliever).

Sorry took a while got distracted with work but this black area started as a bruise - pink purple color then turned black and you can also see that tiny bump on side of upper bill

This spot in middle already kinda dried off but it'll be the second time by now and the bump looking thing on side

He gets fresh water everyday, he mainly eats crumbles mixed with grain/cracked corn combination, some dried meal worn in the morning. Other treats occasionally like beans, peas, corn, deli meats but nothing extreme. I haven't looked for the Veterycin yet and I thought we had Hydrogen Peroxide but didn't and that's why I just dabbed with alcohol
1f614.png
He's in a cage when we're out and he doesn't play in the dirt or grass.

If you can upload photos that would help.

It could be an infection, an injury . . . bacterial or fungal or viral . . . What have you done to treat it so far?  Does it smell bad?

I would drop a few drops of hydrogen peroxide on it and see if it foams.  Then rinse it off thoroughly.

Please tell us what he eats, and what his day is like.  It helps us imagine what may be going on.

Also, I would start rinsing it with saline solution four times a day - you can make your own, there is a recipe on WebMD. 

If it is a bacterial infection (the hydrogen peroxide foams), I would follow the saline solution with antibiotic cream (no pain reliever).

Well, I would pick up some hydrogen peroxide and try just a dab - be ready to rinse it off quickly, because I know that if I have an infection sometimes the hydrogen peroxide makes it hurt. I was just thinking that if it bubbles you know you are dealing with a bacterial infection as opposed to fungal.

Fungal infections happen, and they need different medicine than bacterial infections.

My guess is they are injuries and some antibiotic ointment or cream three or four times a day, and always at bedtime will help. If there is no improvement in a few days, think about trying something anti fungal, like coconut oil, oregano tea (cooled, just a teaspoon of dried oregano in 8 ounces of hot water, cooled, and dip his bill in it several times a day), or pau d'arco topical.

So just the other day I came in and saw blood spatter and blood on his feathers and this time both top and underside have scrapes and are bleeding (which is worse that the photos from last year), I cleaned him up and it looked like it has stopped bleeding but the underside when I pat it there's still pink on the tissue, now he seems to be barely eating which I'm sure it's tender on the lower beak. Should I find some supplement to put in his water or is there such a thing
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png

Sorry took a while got distracted with work but this black area started as a bruise - pink purple color then turned black and you can also see that tiny bump on side of upper bill

This spot in middle already kinda dried off but it'll be the second time by now and the bump looking thing on side

He gets fresh water everyday, he mainly eats crumbles mixed with grain/cracked corn combination, some dried meal worn in the morning. Other treats occasionally like beans, peas, corn, deli meats but nothing extreme. I haven't looked for the Veterycin yet and I thought we had Hydrogen Peroxide but didn't and that's why I just dabbed with alcohol
1f614.png
He's in a cage when we're out and he doesn't play in the dirt or grass.

Last edited:
So just the other day I came in and saw blood spatter and blood on his feathers and this time both top and underside have scrapes and are bleeding (which is worse that the photos from last year), I cleaned him up and it looked like it has stopped bleeding but the underside when I pat it there's still pink on the tissue, now he seems to be barely eating which I'm sure it's tender on the lower beak. Should I find some supplement to put in his water or is there such a thing
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png

Yes, there are supplements you can use.

You could make something like a smoothie out of his food and perhaps a little fresh greens, you could add Poultry Nutri Drench to the water, or poultry vitamins.

Back
Top Bottom