Duck with broken leg

SouthernPride

Songster
11 Years
May 8, 2011
Olive Branch, MS
I rescued a very sweet young Pekin duck yesterday. It's about 4 weeks I think. It has a bad compound fracture on one leg. Im a rehabber but this is something I've not been trained to fix. I'm taking it to a avian vet this afternoon. Anyone have any experience with this kind of injury? This little guy has been someone's lap duck because it wants nothing to do with the other ducks I have and is very cuddly.

The ducks mentality will change once the leg is healed and it begins to interact with other ducks. Storey's guide to raising farm animals will recommend that you make a stationary leg brace to help heal it. You would take a cardboard box and then lay cheese cloth or another soft material across the top and staple it to the sides. Then, cut out two holes for the legs and place the duck's legs into the holes, and be sure the cloth is pulled tightly enough so that the duck's leg is just off the ground. This way, the duck mimics standing (without putting weight on the leg) and the leg can be splinted to heal. You can take the duck out of the box a few times a day in order to give it some exercise and movement. Food and water can be attached to the box so the duck can eat and drink. This would allow for the best positioning while healing. Also, as the leg gets better, you can lower the cloth so that it can slightly put pressure on the leg and regain strength.

Thats a good idea. This will help keep it clean too. Thanks. I just hope they can set the leg. It's a bad break. Bone totally separated and sticking out of skin.

I took him to the vet yesterday. They took xrays. Because there is a wound, if they were to set the break and splint it I would need to remove the splint daily to clean the wound. It would be difficult to do that daily and not compromise the bone healing. So, he is going to pin the leg using an external bar and screws. Wow. This way I can clean the wound.

This duck was found in a backyard, probably dragged there by a dog. Very lucky to be alive. But because it is a domestic duck and not a protected migratory bird, the rehab group will not pay for the surgery. The vet, knowing that, is only going to charge me his cost. How awesome is that! What could be a $1000 bill will only cost me a couple of $$ at the most. They are even going to keep him for a couple days no charge to make sure he does OK.

I took him to the vet yesterday. They took xrays. Because there is a wound, if they were to set the break and splint it I would need to remove the splint daily to clean the wound. It would be difficult to do that daily and not compromise the bone healing. So, he is going to pin the leg using an external bar and screws. Wow. This way I can clean the wound.

This duck was found in a backyard, probably dragged there by a dog. Very lucky to be alive. But because it is a domestic duck and not a protected migratory bird, the rehab group will not pay for the surgery. The vet, knowing that, is only going to charge me his cost. How awesome is that! What could be a $1000 bill will only cost me a couple of $$ at the most. They are even going to keep him for a couple days no charge to make sure he does OK.
That is wonderful and what a great job you are doing, keep us updated please.

Back
Top Bottom