Duck with broken thumb

mollyjane

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2016
Oregon
Tonight when I was putting my chickens and ducks away (they free range in the yard during the day and I put them away at night) my small Pekin duck was limping. I checked out her foot and there were no swellings or lacerations, and she was not bothered by my poking and prodding, but I realized her "thumb" was broken. I don't know whether it is an actual broken bone or a dislocation, though. I couldn't figure out anyway to splint it because it is the little back toe that's just flimsy.

Anyway, I put her to bed and she seemed just fine. I'm planning on keeping her confined for 2 weeks but does anyone have any ideas that might help me out? Or advice to me? She is going to HATE being cooped up.

I currently have 8 chickens and 2 ducks (a Pekin duck and a Khaki Campbell).
Thanks!

We are talking about that back toe, the halux, right?

I would give her an Epsom salt compress once or twice a day, and put some T-Relief ointment on it and see how she does.

Now, about Epsom salt. It's a laxative
ep.gif
So don't let her ingest it. That's why I suggest compresses. But @Miss Lydia has success putting Epsom salt in lukewarm water in a small bucket, and holding the duck while they stand in the bucket. Just no drinking!!!

Thank you! Yes, the halux. Her whole foot is starting to swell this evening so I was planning on soaking it within a ziplock bag (like you do with dog paws) in some Epsom salts but compresses are a great idea!
And I'll put T-Relief ointment on it, too. Thank you so much!

Thank you! Yes, the halux. Her whole foot is starting to swell this evening so I was planning on soaking it within a ziplock bag (like you do with dog paws) in some Epsom salts but compresses are a great idea!
And I'll put T-Relief ointment on it, too. Thank you so much!
Sounds like a good plan let us know how she is doing.

And @mollyjane Welcome to BYC

Back
Top Bottom