Duck with bumblefoot

brendaolson

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 2, 2015
North Idaho
I've got two ducks with what looks like bumblefoot. One is limping and she doesn't want
To put weight on that foot. It looks like there is a little spot on her foot. I've got epsom salt, decolorized iodine, vetericyn, gauze, and vet wrap. I was going to soak in epsom salt first, coat with iodine, let that dry, then coat in vetericyn and wrap up. If that doesn't do the trick after a few days with no improvement, I plan to try to cut out the infection. I've never dealt with this before. I just want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction. Thank you.

My only suggestion would be to add triple antibiotic ointment without pain relief on gauze after the veteracyn and before wrapping. Good luck

So far I have soaked her foot in epsom salt and warm water for twenty minutes every other day, coating the swollen area in decolorized iodine and letting that dry. Then I sprayed her foot with vetericyn, and slathered it with triple antibiotic ointment. I sprayed her gauze again with vetericyn and vet bandaged her foot. I've started soaking and changing her wrap daily because I didn't notice any changes. Is it normal that I haven't noticed any difference yet? I also finally was able to separate her from the rest of the flock so maybe that's why I haven't seen a difference yet. She is still eating and drinking. I've read so many different treatment options that I just went out and bought a list of things. I just don't want to over do it, and I'm not sure which creams and other things I can layer or which order to do so. I've got vetericyn, triple antibiotic ointment, epsom salt, Preparation H, blu kote, prid, and Schreiner's herbal solution for horses and farm stock. I even purchased a scalpel if that's what it comes down to. Most cases of bumblefoot that I have seen have huge black looking scabs. All she has is that little dot on her foot but the swelling is huge. Will the infection eventually draw out and become a big scab that I will be able to remove? I will post a picture soon. It is having troubles uploading. Thanks!

Is she still limping and not wanting to put weight on the foot? Bumblefoot is very tricky. If she is bearing weight on the foot that would be an indication that while visibly there isn't much improvement, internally there might be.

How's the leg on that foot? Warm/hot? Or similar in temp to the other leg?

What you're doing right now has worked for some dealing with bumble foot but it takes time. Also, the ES soaks are usually done daily, once or twice a day for 10 or more minutes. Besides soothing inflammation, the goal is to soften up the area enough to accept the other treatments.

She is still not putting weight on her foot. The temperature of her foot is pretty warm, but the temperature of her leg is the same warmth as her other leg. The epsom salt is making her foot very soft.

Attachments

• IMG_0941.JPG
    IMG_0941.JPG
    440.3 KB · Views: 28
Sounds like you're doing everything right for the non invasive approach other than the soaks daily. My concern is that she's still not bearing weight on it....I believe by day three mine was back to bearing weight. That said, mine has not cleared up but rather morphed. I'm currently doing daily Tricide Neo soaks on my girl bc I absolutely do not want to open her up. It's a treatment intended for koi fish....google Tricide Neo duck bumblefoot. All I can tell you is that no matter what the non invasive method, if it's going to work it's a slow process. She eating, preening, drinking normally?

I have switched to soaking daily. This is day 3. I have her in a large dog kennel so that could be one reason she's been sitting a lot. She still seems to be eating and drinking. I haven't noticed her preening herself, but I am at work for most of the day. She also laid a soft egg the other day. I'm not sure if that's related or just another issue.

Well I'm think the infection has gone farther than her foot. Her poop is now dark green and slimey in texture. The triple antibiotic ointment didn't show any difference. I started to use the preparation h a few days ago, and still no changes. I think I'm going to try medication now. Any ideas?

The poop could be dehydration and malnutrition. Is she eating/drinking ok?

Some members on here have used feed store penicillin. You can search for those threads in the duck forum by typing in antibiotics or meds for bumblefoot. The other meds typically prescribed are: one pill (22.7mg) per day of Baytril, 50-100 mg of clindamycin, doxycycline, lincomycen or doxycycline per day, or 250 mg of amoxicillin per day....but these would need to be ordered through a vet.

Is she getting electrolytes and vitamins in her water? If not, Tractor supply and feed stores sell Nuti Drench and Duravet electrolytes and vitamins. For the Duravet, a scant Tsp in a gallon water.

Back
Top Bottom