duck with chicks bad?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TheChickMan, Mar 17, 2012.

1. TheChickMan

TheChickMan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    The one duck we have in our 2x2 brooder with our 8 chckens is making a watery mess. we have a 1 quart water and when she (the Duck) drinks from it over half of what she takes up goes over the side of the waterer. it is getting really wet but my dad says i can only change the bedding once a week since he has to buy the bedding he wants to save money and not use to much. What can i do to stop this wasting of water and keep the bedding dry besides taking the duck out. we only have one brooder and i have to share it with my brother.

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Get nipple waterers?

Put less water in and add more water when needed?

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    You can set the waterer inside a pan or bowl of some sort so it will catch most of the spillage. Just make sure the babies can still reach in there to take a drink. OR you could build a little wooden stand covered in hardware cloth with some sort of catch pan under the wire with a ramp to go up to the top to get a drink?

4. TheChickMan

TheChickMan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    I have 2 nipple waters but i thought yo uhad to wait until they were an adult to use them. rookie mistake. i'll be putting them in as soon as i get home.

5. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Just show them how it works, each chick one at a time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by