Duck with curled foot, need advise

kysilkies

Songster
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
Hey ya'll, one of our baby Khaki Campbells has a foot that wants to curl under(not lay flat), we tried using surgical tape and a guitar pick to lay it flat but it keeps coming off, any thoughts?!?! Thanx in advance....

I think you can see it here:
30142_052811_004.jpg

I use sticky foam pads on my ducklings feet if I ever get one with a curled foot. I get packs of them made for human feet for protection against corns and callouses. I just cut the pad down a bit so its a better shape for duckie feet. They are made sticky enough to stay on for a few days- but come off fairly easily after that.

46956_duckling_shoes.jpg

Good luck with your little one- I hope you can work out something to help him with that foot.

Hi guys
Thanks to your advice my newly hatched Call Duck (Wee Plucky Ducky) no longer has feet like cheesy Quavers. I used little cardboard soles held in place with a small sticky plaster. He was breech. I had to break him out of the pointy end of his unusually small egg and he was completely crumpled. His tail still goes round a corner!! I fed him small drops of sugar water for the first 12 hours and I really didn't think he'd make it. He was SO small and lifeless and lost quite a bit of blood but it was either break him out or watch him die in there.
sad.png
Now he's up and about, feet normal, eating chick crumbs and drinking, pooping like a trooper and being a very cheeky little guy (gal?)
Thanks again for all the help and guidance I've gleaned from these chats.

You could try the guitar pick again (or a piece of cardboard). Wrap the foot and UP the leg. That might help it stay on. Maybe use Vetwrap. Just be careful of the tightness. That stuff can be deceiving because it's stretchy.

Good Luck!

Hi there. My 7 WEEK old muscovy suddenly exhibited a curled under foot yesterday, having been completely normal up until then. There is no sign of injury, and she is behaving quite normally(except for walking, and running on her knuckle). What could have caused this, and how do I help her?

I use sticky foam pads on my ducklings feet if I ever get one with a curled foot. I get packs of them made for human feet for protection against corns and callouses. I just cut the pad down a bit so its a better shape for duckie feet. They are made sticky enough to stay on for a few days- but come off fairly easily.
46956_duckling_shoes.jpg

Good luck with your little one- I hope you can work out something to help him with that foot.
. This is a great idea !

Back
Top Bottom