Duck with high temp and panting

Ducklingmum

Songster
Jul 11, 2017
Hi all,
I have been to vets today with my little girl as she seemed a bit distant and she was panting hard.
she has a high temperature and get gave antobiotics and anti inflammatory tablets.

now she is home do you guys have any advice how to help bring her temp down? we have a cool bath and cool water for her but she is still panting!
just want to help ease her breathing so she can get some rest!

does she have a quiete dark comfy place to sleep it off?
thanks. yes she has, she is inside and we have a travel box that she likes, full of fresh straw, but through last night she has been awake all night panting. she won't lie down to rest, hence the panic!

What did the vet say was going on? And is the meds helping with the temp? Where is she and what temp is the room she is in? I believe you can aspirin but @casportpony may have the dose. And I’d ask the vet first since she is already on an anti imflamatory med
The vet probably prescribed Meloxicam and I'm not positive, but I don't think Meloxicam should be given with aspirin.

Good news is that I think Meloxicam will reduce fevers, so :fl it starts working soon.

Year before last I had one that was panting. She had a bacterial infection of the intestines and after several days of antibiotics and supportive care, she quit panting and recovered.

@Ducklingmum, questions...
What does the vet think is wrong?
What drugs were prescribed?
How old is your duck?
Has she started laying?
If so, when did she lay her last egg?

Edited to fix typo

Last edited:
Note that my previous post had a typo. Do not give Meloxicam and aspirin unless your vet tells you to. The two drugs combined may increase the risk of gastrointestinal toxicity (e.g., ulceration, bleeding, vomiting, diarrhea).

The vet probably prescribed Meloxicam and I'm not positive, but I don't think Meloxicam should be given with aspirin.

Good news is that I think Meloxicam will reduce fevers, so :fl it starts working soon.

Year before last I had one that was panting. She had a bacterial infection of the intestines and after several days of antibiotics and supportive care, she quit panting and recovered.

@Ducklingmum, questions...
What does the vet think is wrong?
What drugs were prescribed?
How old is your duck?
Has she started laying?
If so, when did she lay her last egg?

Edited to fix typo

so return trip to vet as the original tylan antibiotic and metacam didn't make too much difference to the panting. we managed to get her fever down so that's a relief.
She may have a heart problem and she is now on diuretic and heart meds. she has moments where she stops panting (it seems to ease off in the bath). but then she starts again - it's horrible to see her struggle.
back to the vet on Wednesday if she is stable enough to do further tests.

Back
Top Bottom