Duck With Injured Leg. Any advice?

chickieduck

Chirping
Jul 9, 2021
So a few weeks ago my duck, Daisy, was somehow injured in her secure pen. While I was feeding them I noticed she was limping around a bit. She had just recently recovered from a prolapsed vent (pour baby can't catch a break). We took her to the vet, who told us it looked like she had fractured her leg a bit at one point. He gave us pain medication and told us she'd be fine, she just needed some time to heal. We've been giving the medication but it's only gotten worse, and she's not even using her leg now, she just lays down all day and has to use her wing for stability when she stands. And now, her eye has discharge around it, so hopefully she's not getting an infection. She's been eating and drinking as normal and she always quacks when I go out to check on her, but her leg just won't quit. She seems happier in the water so we give her pretty regular epsom salt baths, but the weather has been too cold recently to do that much. We have another vet appointment for her coming up soon, but does anyone know anything we can do to help her in the mean time? Any advice would help, thanks!

Have you been keeping her where she can't overdo? when one has a leg injury it's always best to curb their normal activities so they rest and allow the injury to heal. Can you bring her in for soaks? I wouldn't put her in a tub of Epsom salt water because drinking the water can cause dehydration but letting her have at least 1X a day of floating in a tub of warm water can help take pressure off her leg. And keeps her muscles from getting weak while she is recuperating.
Is she able to dunk her head and keep her eyes cleaned? Very important. There is Terramycin eye ointment for eye infection.

How's your duck doing? I agree with Miss Lydia, as hard as it is, I would confine her to a small space for awhile to see if the leg can heal.

So a few weeks ago my duck, Daisy, was somehow injured in her secure pen. While I was feeding them I noticed she was limping around a bit. She had just recently recovered from a prolapsed vent (pour baby can't catch a break). We took her to the vet, who told us it looked like she had fractured her leg a bit at one point. He gave us pain medication and told us she'd be fine, she just needed some time to heal. We've been giving the medication but it's only gotten worse, and she's not even using her leg now, she just lays down all day and has to use her wing for stability when she stands. And now, her eye has discharge around it, so hopefully she's not getting an infection. She's been eating and drinking as normal and she always quacks when I go out to check on her, but her leg just won't quit. She seems happier in the water so we give her pretty regular epsom salt baths, but the weather has been too cold recently to do that much. We have another vet appointment for her coming up soon, but does anyone know anything we can do to help her in the mean time? Any advice would help, thanks!
Perkins seem to have this problem. A couple of our Perkins are wobbly and favour on leg. They also use the wings for stability. I think it's in the breed. Our cuyagas are doing great and are the same age. 2 yrs.
Swimming does help because it takes the weight off of the leg. Poor boy may end up as dinner one night.

Perkins seem to have this problem. A couple of our Perkins are wobbly and favour on leg. They also use the wings for stability. I think it's in the breed. Our cuyagas are doing great and are the same age. 2 yrs.
Swimming does help because it takes the weight off of the leg. Poor boy may end up as dinner one night.
there is help even when older if it's a deficiency and most likely it is. Liquid B complex is given over a tasty treat. 1ml per duck

there is help even when older if it's a deficiency and most likely it is. Liquid B complex is given over a tasty treat. 1ml per duck
Thank you.We do have them on vitamins you mix with water. These guys aeso bad about their water. Some think the water bowl is a mini pool.lol

Back
Top Bottom