Duck with Possible Angel Wing

RidiculousName

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2023
Little Egypt
I posted on the duck forum first, but was advised to post here.

I have an exactly six week old ancona duckling that I think may have angel wing. I got three others at the same time, and fed them the same, and they do not appear to have the same issue. Is this angel wing? Should I try and treat it myself? I have seen the stickied post on angel wing in the duck forum.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
She is an ancona duck, exactly six weeks old as of today, and I think she weighs close to 5 pounds.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
No obvious changes in behavior. She does not seem to be very dominant.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
A few days. She was slower than the others to put on adult feathers.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
One other duckling was also slow to put on adult feathers, but has since become indistinguishable from the other two who have been without issues.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I am assuming this is genetic. She has had access to all the same food and environment as the others.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
I let them drink pond water while they're out during the day, and they have a bucket full of tap water every night. I refill the bucket with completely new water every day. They have free access to feed at all times. I give them Mazuri starter (20% protein) and maintenance (14% protein) at a near 1/1 ratio. I give them slightly less starter feed, so they should be getting slightly less than 17% protein from their feed.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
I cannot identify any poop as belonging to her specifically. My ducklings poop is usually either light brown or black, and has the typical silver streaks in it. It's usually barely solid, very soft poop.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Nothing, I want to be sure I am diagnosing it correctly.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I will call a vet if I think it's serious enough. I think I would prefer to handle something as simple as angel wing myself.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
See below.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
During the day they are kept in an enclosure around the edge of my pond, where they can swim and forage on the shore and the bank. No herbicides, pesticides, etc. are used anywhere near it. Just before dusk, I bring them in to a large shower with medium-flake pine bedding that I cover with a layer of new bedding every day. I also provide a bucket with tap water for them to drink. I drape an old ripped red/white shirt over a lamp with a 9-watt LED bulb to provide a little bit of light. I no longer provide supplemental heat. The house is kept at 68 fehrenheit.

1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely looks like Angel Wing. Yes, you can try and treat it yourself.
There's a genetic component to propensity for the disease, which is why one bird can show it badly when the rest of the flock seems unaffected.

Up the Niacin intake.

Counterintuitive though it seems, drop the protein level - you want to give its bones and ligaments a chance to "catch up" to the muscle development.

and if you are using nutritional yeast as your extra niacin source, keep in mind its almost 50% protein.

Cut carbs too - no bread, rice, corn, or similar "treats".

Definitely looks like Angel Wing. Yes, you can try and treat it yourself.
There's a genetic component to propensity for the disease, which is why one bird can show it badly when the rest of the flock seems unaffected.

Up the Niacin intake.

Counterintuitive though it seems, drop the protein level - you want to give its bones and ligaments a chance to "catch up" to the muscle development.

and if you are using nutritional yeast as your extra niacin source, keep in mind its almost 50% protein.

Cut carbs too - no bread, rice, corn, or similar "treats".

Will do. To correct the angel wing, could I just cut a hole in the toes of an old large sock and pull it over her head? I would prefer not to bandage both wings, if it's unnecessary. I am worried I could hurt her.

Back
Top Bottom