Duck with severe bumblefoot

Sue S

Songster
Mar 7, 2018
Pa
Advice needed...... I've been trying to treat severe bumblefoot on my duck for a couple of weeks, Epsom salt soaks, removing the scab, applying neosporin ( without pain relief ) & Prid. But her foot wasn't improving so this morning I preformed " minor surgery " & this is what I got out of her foot 🤢. I felt so bad cutting into her foot & I was surprised by what come out. After cleaning her foot I applied neosporin, Prid, & wrapped her foot. I plan on changing her bandage in a couple of days. My question is, did I get all of the stuff out her her foot??? Will I have to cut around the scab again????
20220818_092905.jpg

Give it a couple days, then remove the bandage, soak, clean, and reapply Neosporin and rebandage. After you check it the second time if you don't see improvement you may need to scrape the scab off again and repeat. When my hen had bumblefoot after I removed the scab and squeezed until I thought everything was out, I gave it a spray of peroxide and it actually bubbled more stringy puss out, I gave it another squeeze, disinfected, applied Neosporin and bandaged it up. I had no more issues after that. Do keep in mind that peroxide should not be used over and over as it will damage healthy tissue.

Advice needed...... I've been trying to treat severe bumblefoot on my duck for a couple of weeks, Epsom salt soaks, removing the scab, applying neosporin ( without pain relief ) & Prid. But her foot wasn't improving so this morning I preformed " minor surgery " & this is what I got out of her foot 🤢. I felt so bad cutting into her foot & I was surprised by what come out. After cleaning her foot I applied neosporin, Prid, & wrapped her foot. I plan on changing her bandage in a couple of days. My question is, did I get all of the stuff out her her foot??? Will I have to cut around the scab again???? View attachment 3227317
If you're still treating (I hope not) there is an ointment called Ichthammol Ointment that draws out the icky stuff and sometimes whatever caused it. It has been around for years but has gotten hard to find. I finally found it on Amazon for a very reasonable price. My mother always kept a tube and I have always kept a tube. Works great on splinters in a kids foot or finger when you can't pin them down to get it with tweezers. It is a homeopathic ointment and safe to use on anything I guess. If you're interested here's the link to Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=ichtha...efix=ichth,aps,2885&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_5

Back
Top Bottom