duck with sores

jfishfam

Songster
9 Years
Jul 1, 2010
Northern Indiana
Our duck has had a rough time lately. We treated her for bumblefoot, and she's recovering. Tonight we noticed she had some blood on her feathers. When we checked we found several sores about the size of a nickel or bigger on her skin. Some look like scabs, a couple look like gangrene. We have been giving her antibiotic shots for about 2 weeks and then she had 6 days of shots a week before that. Suggestions? I'll try to get a couple of pictures of it.

Penicillin treats Staph infections that are a common cause of some Bumblefoot & other infections & sores. If you are using a vet, you might ask your vet them about using that.

Or if you're treating on your own, I would read up on it & give it a try possibly. There is some info about it on my Poultry Podiatry page linked in my sig, but I would research a bit more to make sure it is likely to help with her type of sores.

Sort of related: I'd be sure to use probiotics when giving that much Baytril. When I gave Baytril for several days before, the chickens developed some sort of problem causing white diarrhea, which I had to treat with other antibiotics.
Recently, I dosed heavily once/day with Baytril & also gave probiotics spaced 12 hours before & after, to try to keep down whatever bacteria (that wasn't susceptible to Baytril) flourished last time the 'good bacteria' got killed off with heavy Baytril dosing. I'm not sure yet if it has prevented similar problems from recurring.

Best wishes.

We took her to the vet and she said that baytril was what they used with ducks. As far as the bumblefoot it is almost completely healed. I'll post some pics to show the contrast, but I just don't know what is causing these sores. I will do some more research. I am struggling with the search words to use to get the right answers.
I have been contemplating nutritional supplements. If I can coax her to eat some fermented garlic I want to add that to her "menu".

Back
Top Bottom