Duck with Splayed? legs

JonBoy7

Chirping
6 Years
May 6, 2013
i have a duckling (about 6 weeks old now I think) that I believe has splayed legs. They don’t turn outwards she just doesn’t seem to ever stretch them out. I first noticed this about 2 and a half weeks ago her toes wouldn’t spread out at that point either and she hobbled badly. I immediately started niacin supplements and she now can spread her toes and gets around much better but still doesn’t stand all the way up. Is there anything else I can try? It doesn’t seem to bother her much anymore she is just slower than my other ducks. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Any way you can get a video? You will have to upload it on Vimeo or you tube then copy and paste here. At 6 weeks damage may well be done but doesn’t mean we don’t try. I’d suggest liquid b complex found at TSC in the cattle dept it will say injectable but we use it orally for our water fowl. Put it over something like dried meal worms or peas or some other treat they like. B complex is very important for leg muscle Skeletal health so hopefully even though your duck is 6 weeks old it sure would be worth a try and not all that expensive at 6 weeks she is still growing till 10-12 weeks so let’s hope if you get this ASAP you still have time to help her. Pics of her feet and legs and video would be great. Dose is 1 ml a day.

Check out this article (with good photos) of duck leg issues caused by nutritional deficiency.

https://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html

Does it seem to fit with what is seen here?

If you touch/manipulate the legs at all can you find any sign of injury?

Can the duck put weight on both legs?

Do both legs look the same? Is one bigger, or mis-shapen, or swollen compared to the other?

144FB795-C5F4-4422-AD34-ACFDDAF92FB9.jpeg
Any way you can get a video? You will have to upload it on Vimeo or you tube then copy and paste here. At 6 weeks damage may well be done but doesn’t mean we don’t try. I’d suggest liquid b complex found at TSC in the cattle dept it will say injectable but we use it orally for our water fowl. Put it over something like dried meal worms or peas or some other treat they like. B complex is very important for leg muscle Skeletal health so hopefully even though your duck is 6 weeks old it sure would be worth a try and not all that expensive at 6 weeks she is still growing till 10-12 weeks so let’s hope if you get this ASAP you still have time to help her. Pics of her feet and legs and video would be great. Dose is 1 ml a day.

Wasn’t able to get a good video video but you can see in this picture the one in the back.

Check out this article (with good photos) of duck leg issues caused by nutritional deficiency.

https://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html

Does it seem to fit with what is seen here?

If you touch/manipulate the legs at all can you find any sign of injury?

Can the duck put weight on both legs?

Do both legs look the same? Is one bigger, or mis-shapen, or swollen compared to the other?

It stands fine no signs of injury and I can straighten the leg out but it just won’t do it on its own.

Is the duck sitting on both it’s hocks, or just on one? Siting on hocks can be a sign of riboflavin deficiency. The B complex liquid that @Miss Lydia recommended is good, or you can also use human B complex tablets crushed onto food—1/4 tablet daily. It would be good to see a photo of it standing straight on, in case there is a leg bone deformity, such as varus or valgus deformity.

Back
Top Bottom