Duck with swollen leg

BenceHUN

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 23, 2014
Hungary
Hi!
My duck's leg is again swollen. Earlier I tried epsom salt soak and I gave her oregano but doesn't helped.
I read somewhere that advil may help. Should I give her advil?

You mentioned again. Can you link to the previous thread about this?

First- STOP with the pain killers. Those are way, way worse than doing nothing until you find and solve the problem. People often do this with dogs and then the dogs end up badly injured, overusing the minimally injured part. Animals in pain need to have their problems solved as they don't have the cognitive ability to know they need rest.

Ducks with leg problems that aren't trauma related are 99.99999% caused by vitaman deficiencies.

Give the duck a good livestock multivitamin one that includes alot of niacin, then follow it up with probiotics and electrolites (found in tiny envelopes at tractor supply). I do 1/2 strength on the probiotics and electorlites since I am also doing the full strength vitiamns.

Feed her lots of greens and protein and do thereputic baths, preferably indoors. Becuase livestock multivitamins are so cheap ($5 for a powder that makes 128 gallons) I let my duck that went lame sit and swim in them in one of those giant storage containers. I did aquatherepy for 2.5 hours a day broken into 3 segments. Mostly my little guy just floated most of the time.

Last edited:
I don't gave her painkillers yet.
I give her every day 1 Brewer's Yeast tablet.
She can just 2-3 times a week to swim, I don't have more free time:(

My duck has a swollen leg too.. She can't walk on it and it's so sad to see!

Vet prescribed anti biotics and anti inflammatories.

I am going to get a crate for her tomorrow and keep her in there for a week or so and give her a hot epsom bath.

Poor duckies!

I don't gave her painkillers yet.
I give her every day 1 Brewer's Yeast tablet.
She can just 2-3 times a week to swim, I don't have more free time:(

Not to be mean, but that's really not good enough. Everyone is busy. Find a plastic bin and let the duck swim while you get ready for work, empty it, let the duck rest all day in a small, confined place (if it can still walk) then when you come home from work your 1st priority should be getting that duck back into some water. Then do your chores (kids, dinner, etc) and let the duck just float and flap around for an hour. Drain a bit of water, let the duck warm up, then before bed give the duck another half hour.

You can find the 'free time' if you want to save this duck. Remember that supervision dosnt have to mean the duck has your sole attention.

Find a multivitman, brewer's yeast is good, but it's only covering the niacin bit. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042LA2PG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 this one is good. it's $5 and you could let your duck swim in 6 gallons of it a day, 3 times a day and still have some leftover at the end of 2 weeks.

Also electolites and probiotics. Your duck needs extra care to heal.

I wonder if my one pekin who walks bow legged would benefit from solo swim time. He usually gets put un the tub with his flock mates once a day for an hour.

I think Pekins definitely do well with hydrotherapy, NatureGloMom, and Jessica89, remember Epsom salt is a laxative - I would go with warm bath followed by Epsom salt compress.

Back
Top Bottom