duck won't dry

Sarree

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 18, 2008
Akron Ohio
I have several call ducks fully grown and one doesn't seem to dry off. she stays really wet and I try to dry her with a towel but she hates being held. I'm worried because of the cold weather.

What could be wrong and is there anything I can do?

Sarree

I know this sounds weird but ducks can drown,sometimes the little oil gland on top of their back gets stopped up or for whatever reason they dont have oil in their feathers that keep them from getting really wet. You need to watch that duck, sounds like she cant handle the water and she is in danger of freezing to death or drowning.

Yes, I was about to suggest checking this oil gland and seeing if it has become blocked or abscessed in any way. Its very important for a bird, especially a waterfowl, to have active an active oil gland to insure waterproofing of the feathers.

I put a heat lamp in her pen to keep her warm. How do I check the oil gland? Is this something I can see?

Sarree

It should be at the base of her tail(the top) and is a little raised bumplike area and the feathers in this area are a little more oily at their base than the rest of a typical duck's feathers. If they are not, it could mean a problem exists.

If you will notice your other ducks grooming, they will repeatedly access this area and spread it to other areas of their body. It almost looks like they are nibbling at theirselves when they do this.

is it below freezing? wood chips would work for long, she they will get them wet and than they freeze solid. I had a duck with ice on her sides the other day it was 7 below. i locked them up in thier house and kept her out of the water.

Back
Top Bottom