Duck Won't Eat

Amelia-DarkWing

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 20, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
I could really use any suggestions right now, I'm begging anyone and desperate... I am having so many duck issues lately, it's killing me. My Male Rouen won't eat. He is drinking lots of water, and walking fine, but he won't eat his food. I have 2 different bags and he's eaten from both of them before, but the last 2 days he just won't eat either. I've tried searching for mites, but I don't see any, and the feed is all kept in sealed tubberware. Plus, I have a month old duckling who I tested both feeds on (normally eats separate food for his age), seeing if he sensed mites, but he eats both feeds up happily. The Rouen is a year and half old, and an indoor/outdoor pet, that I spend all my time with. His poop is very runny lately too, which seems understandable since he's not eating any solids. His mate, my lovely girl Pekin, did pass away a month ago, I believe from being egg-bound, so I don't know if he could be depressed, but it seems strange that it took a month for the depression to set in. Especially since he's just started to really warm up to the new duckling. The vet isn't open til Monday, so I just wanna know if anyone has any ideas until then. Should I force-feed him? Or what? If anyone could please give any suggestions... I've tried googling it, and there's nothing about adult ducks not eating in this situation. I AM BEGGING, PLEASE... ANYONE

I haven't had this happen but if he is not eating I would try giving him treats - lettuce or peas. I would also put some vitamins and electrolytes in his drinking water. How old it your feed? Might it have been moldy or something when you bought it? Maybe you could get a new bag of feed and see if he eats.

Best of luck.

Try putting sugar in the water as it will give him energy, not too much tho..my chicken recently had mites, which made liquid white poos, loss if hunger and thirst.. So id check again for mites, they are hard to spot, check under the wings

Thank you both for replying! His poop is seafoam green now ): To answer your question, his food is about 2 months old... I get the 50 lb bags from Tractor Supply, but again, I store it in sealed tubberware. I've also coated him yesterday with that DE powder for mites and bugs, just in case I am missing something. I put Niacin in his water. And I gave him a bowl of de-wormer water, just in case. He won't eat his favorite snacks either, although I did force feed him late last night. Which vitamins should I give him?

Thank you both for replying! His poop is seafoam green now ): To answer your question, his food is about 2 months old... I get the 50 lb bags from Tractor Supply, but again, I store it in sealed tubberware. I've also coated him yesterday with that DE powder for mites and bugs, just in case I am missing something. I put Niacin in his water. And I gave him a bowl of de-wormer water, just in case. He won't eat his favorite snacks either, although I did force feed him late last night. Which vitamins should I give him?
Could he have eaten something toxic, in the stickies it gives a guide to flushes to remove toxins.

Yes, I used the epsom salt flush. So far, so good... only a little green poop left, and he's eating some on his own. I hope with this he will be 100% in a few days!!! THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!!! I love this website. Somebody, like you Miss Lydia, always help me. I don't know where I'd be without you!! Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom