Duckie won’t let me sleep

Kaelewykoff

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2021
Hey guy! I just got my very first duck named Honey yesterday. She was unfortunately the LAST one in the box and I immediately had to get her.
I have bonded with her very well and she has actually attached herself to me.
My problem with that is she will now not let me sleep😭 she will make noises the whole time she is in the crate and won’t stop until I’m holding her in my arms. The store does not have any more ducklings for a few more days and I feel so bad for her just being alone. She has a stuffed animal with plenty of food and water, she’s just lonely. What can I do to survive the next few nights and be able to sleep??

Set up something warm for her to cuddle with and see if that works!😉 Like maybe hot water in a mason jar! We have done this for one of my cold lonely chicks that we had and many other times!

U
Set up something warm for her to cuddle with and see if that works!😉 Like maybe hot water in a mason jar! We have done this for one of my cold lonely chicks that we had and many other times
Unfortunately that didn’t work😭she laid in the water for a little, but now Everytime she’s in the crate she’s trying to get out. I don’t want to be sleeping and have her get caught and hurt herself trying to get out. I feel so bad idk what to do😭

Oh I’m sorry I meant to fill one up with hot water, put a top on it, and lay down next to it for her to cuddle with! I’m so sorry I should have gone into detail!😔

But just a tip- gradually warm up the mason jar so it doesn’t shatter!😉
Real Mason jars should never shatter when you pour hot water in it unless there is a crack in the glass. People who can foods would have a horrible time if they had to warm up all the Mason jars prior. Good advice though.

To the OP-- I'm going to assume this duckling is in a brooder with heat.
With that said, the Mason jar idea is a good one. I would add some fleece around the jar of warm water so it is snuggly. Add a stuffed animal and maybe a mirror to the brooder. But, as you've found out, the duckling really needs a duck friend. It sounds like you will have a few rough days until you get it another duckling friend.

X
Real Mason jars should never shatter when you pour hot water in it unless there is a crack in the glass. People who can foods would have a horrible time if they had to warm up all the Mason jars prior. Good advice though.

To the OP-- I'm going to assume this duckling is in a brooder with heat.
With that said, the Mason jar idea is a good one. I would add some fleece around the jar of warm water so it is snuggly. Add a stuffed animal and maybe a mirror to the brooder. But, as you've found out, the duckling really needs a duck friend. It sounds like you will have a few rough days until you get it another duckling friend.
I appreciate it! And I misunderstood the other comment and thought she meant warm water for her to lay in.. well it’s funny Bc after an hour she was quiet and would just lay in it. I’m not sure if that’s okay for the duckling and won’t do it again if it’s not. I had a stuffed animal and she ignores it. I have a litter of kittens that she likes to cuddle with and that’s how I found out she needs a buddy, but they don’t cuddle at night. She’s in her cage. I was so upset for her that I’ll be crying Bc I don’t want her alone lol

Back
Top Bottom