Duckings arrived in terrible shape!

JBrade

Chirping
Apr 22, 2021
I'm devastated. Three of the six ducklings we ordered arrived dead. They shipped on Monday from Metzer Farms and got to our post office today (Thursday).

For the three that remain, I'm very worried. I think two are doing okay after a few hours in the brooder. But one rouen is not perking up. She actually seems to be getting worse. Initially she drank some water and walked to the food bowl, but she keeps laying in a position that looks dead - flopped over, head back to the side. She's wobbly if she stands. She takes one little sip if I show her the water. Is there anything I can do? Heat is around 90. Water has the electrolytes from Metzer. Feed is mushy duck starter. They are inside the house.

I have one less urgent question. We called and they will replace our ducklings, but I'm afraid of this happening again. Is it typical to lose them in shipment?

Thank you! I made some sugar water too because it was suggested on another site. She (the rouen) took a few sips and is sleeping. I’ll try again in a bit.

The other two (pekin and runner) are doing good. Walking, peeping, pecking at things, cleaning themselves, drinking a lot. That’s a relief.

Morning update: The rouen is still alive, but same or worse than last night. She lays under the heat lamp and will accept a small sip of sugar water or electrolyte water if I hold her up to a water cup. After one sip, she closes her eyes and hangs her head. She would not eat scrambled egg. The other two were happy to have some egg, so that was cute. But I'm thinking the rouen will not hold on much longer. I appreciate all your suggestions.

Morning update: The rouen is still alive, but same or worse than last night. She lays under the heat lamp and will accept a small sip of sugar water or electrolyte water if I hold her up to a water cup. After one sip, she closes her eyes and hangs her head. She would not eat scrambled egg. The other two were happy to have some egg, so that was cute. But I'm thinking the rouen will not hold on much longer. I appreciate all your suggestions.
You did what you could, and that's what matters. Sorry though...

What state are you in? Maybe next time you could look on Craigslist in your area to see if someone local might have some ducklings for sale?
It's no use looking at a local hatchery for more ducklings because they usually just ship them in from Metzer's too, so you are in no better position.
We’re in Connecticut. I didn’t think of Craigslist as I assumed you can’t list animals there. Maybe poultry is an exception? Interesting. I’ll look into it. The only local place with ducks is Tractor Supply, but they only had unsexed Pekins and at the time we wanted a variety and all females. Now I don’t care as long as they are healthy.

We’re in Connecticut. I didn’t think of Craigslist as I assumed you can’t list animals there. Maybe poultry is an exception? Interesting. I’ll look into it. The only local place with ducks is Tractor Supply, but they only had unsexed Pekins and at the time we wanted a variety and all females. Now I don’t care as long as they are healthy.
You can list all animals on Craigslist as far as I'm aware

Hoping your little one pulls through, it sounds like you're taking all the right steps 🧡

It is an unfortunate thing that can happen when shipping day olds :/ one thing I changed this year was ordering from a hatchery that was closer to me. I know that not everyone can take in straight run, like for me I live closer to a city so no one is really looking for extra roos or drakes.

Adding to that a great source is joining some homesteading groups based in your area on Facebook or following similar accounts on Instagram. I've found several farmers that offer grow outs or at least have a larger network that can help you rehome if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom