Duckling attacking other ducklings

skuigs

Hatching
May 24, 2016
Orlando, FL
I just got three new ducklings from the same farm (a black Swedish, blue Swedish, and a Muscovy.) They were raised together in the same brooder and pen. They are about 2 to 3 weeks old. When I got them home I took them out of the box and the Muscovy immediately attacked me. I thought maybe it was scared from the car ride and I put them in their habitat. But then the Muscovy started to attack the other ducklings it grew up with. It grabbed the black Swedish duckling by the neck and twisted. I had to pull it off before it could do serious damage. The black Swedish was fine because I got it off fast enough. But the Muscovy bit me so hard I started bleeding. I put it in a seperate area for the night and tried to introduce it again in the morning. This time it was good for 10 minutes and was even cuddling with the other ducklings. But then for no reason it stopped cuddling and bit the blue Swedish ducklings wing and started clamping down and twisting again. The poor blue Swedish was crying and I pulled the Muscovy off again. I don't want to put it back in with the sweet ducklings. This duckling just seems to always be angry and vicious. Every time I try to give it food or water or pick it up it viciously bites me and huffs and hisses. I contacted the farm and they told me they would rather not take it back. Is there any way I can calm it down? I tried mealworms, lettuce, saying no, tapping beak, holding beak closed for second while saying no. It just keeps attacking everything. It even attacks the water bottle when I am pouring water into its bowl.

I never had a problem like this with my Pekins. I read sometimes adult moscovys can be aggressive but this is a tiny baby. Is it possible this duck is just insane? I don't want it to be alone but I can't risk it trying to kill the other ducklings. What can I do?

I have 15 ducks and I've never had this problem before. You might try pushing the duckling down to the ground to show your dominence over it. Hold it down until it quits fighting.

Maybe you could bribe him by offering frozen peas or mealworms. I don't know what the answer is I hope someone else can come up with a solution. I wouldn't keep him if he's going to mean to the other ducks and you also. You might put him on the free list on Craigs list and see if anybody wants him.

Ya know, this sounds like trauma.... mercy.

@Miss Lydia
@Kevin565
@Orca5094
@sourland

I would divide the brooder and separate little Muskypants but allow them to see each other. Make sure everyone has what they need - water with food, proper temperature, safety.

I think Little is scared out of his or her mind for some reason. Maybe giving it 48 hours or so, the little one can see that this isn't the end of the world.

I'd keep up with a few treats here and there, just stay calm and sweet. Ducklings can go into a stage where they are extremely terrified of anything bigger than they are, of being cornered, of being snuck up on. Not all ducklings hit it, but many do, and for some it's nightmarish.

Ya know, this sounds like trauma.... mercy.

@Miss Lydia
@Kevin565
@Orca5094
@sourland

I would divide the brooder and separate little Muskypants but allow them to see each other. Make sure everyone has what they need - water with food, proper temperature, safety.

I think Little is scared out of his or her mind for some reason. Maybe giving it 48 hours or so, the little one can see that this isn't the end of the world.

I'd keep up with a few treats here and there, just stay calm and sweet. Ducklings can go into a stage where they are extremely terrified of anything bigger than they are, of being cornered, of being snuck up on. Not all ducklings hit it, but many do, and for some it's nightmarish.
I agree with Amiga!

So last night it made some progress it ate out of my hand and laid in my lap for about 30 mins without biting (although she nibbled). But then this morning I came and gave her food and she's biting full strength again. I tried to calm her down by having her in my lap and petting her head because she really liked that last night but she lunged and bit my face. :( but that little bit of progress shows there is hope. I hope.

When I got them on Monday they were being kept in a fully inclosed gazebo type enclosure. But the sides were all chicken wire over chainlink. I'm not sure if that was just their day run or if they were sleeping there. But could that be why she is so terrified? There were cats on the farm and I'm sure there are raccoons and probably foxes in that area. Could they have tried to get in every night and scared this duck too much?

I'm glad you made some progress with her. That might be a possibility about the predators.. Now she sees everybody as a predator and she is doing the only thing she knows, defending herself. Good luck with her and maybe over time you can build your trust with her. You might try putting all 3 of them in the bath tub. They would be to busy swimming for her to be mean to the others.

I think it's pretty crappy that the farm would 'rather not take it back'. WTH? What about you rather not having a bunch of injured babies because they sold you a freak amongst a group of sweethearts? I'm glad you are seeing progress. Poor little thing. :(

They said it was because they would have to quarantine it since it had left their farm. They do not just want to take ducks back and put them in with the rest I guess. Or they don't want one aggressive one injuring their other babies.

The muscovy is doing a lot better now. However now the black and blue swedish have been pecking her. (More like bullying than full attack.) She puts up with it the first few times but then she starts to fight back. I have them separated but in the same area, however the muscovy seems to be an escape artist. But I think they're starting to get along more. The muscovy is still biting me a bit when I first take her out or move her to the bath but she has had longer and longer periods of calm. She even likes to sit in my lap to watch tv after she has calmed down. So everything is better than before. Here is a picture of the muscovy. I decided to name her Lily. (I'm guessing she might be a girl because her legs are not super thick and she was feathered earlier than the other muscovys at the farm, she also makes the piping noise as well as huffing but I'm not sure if it is too early to tell by sound.) Does anyone know what color she will be as an adult? I was thinking black and brown?

Back
Top Bottom