Duckling breathing heavy when sleeping

Luckydougie

Hatching
Jul 23, 2020
So I’ve noticed that my bigger duckling Dougie seems to breath heavier and different then my little guy, kind like he’s having to try a little harder. He eats and drinks normal, sometimes he gets a sneezing fit and I’ve used saline solution to make sure his nostrils are clear so I think it might just be the hay bedding they have. But his breathing does worry me so I’m wondering if anybody knows if it seems normal to you? My other one Lucky doesn’t seem to breath the same as him especially when sleeping. Ive tried posting a video but it won’t work. They seem a little fast and heavy

Well all i can think of is I maybe Respiratory disease... It may be a little drastic but it is part of the symptoms. Or you could give him a warm bath to see if that helps clear him if something is bothering him on the inside

Waterfowl aren't really affected by respiratory diseases unless they're kept in high humidity/ammonia, unsanitary areas that severy compromises their respiratory system. What would be much more likely is, an over warmed brooder (Pekins are affected by this the most), and a lack of sufficient deep water source to clean their nares out with.

So my two questions are, what's the temperature in their brooder, and what kind of water do you have available for them?

Waterfowl aren't really affected by respiratory diseases unless they're kept in high humidity/ammonia, unsanitary areas that severy compromises their respiratory system. What would be much more likely is, an over warmed brooder (Pekins are affected by this the most), and a lack of sufficient deep water source to clean their nares out with.

So my two questions are, what's the temperature in their brooder, and what kind of water do you have available for them?
The brooder and home home is between 70-80 degrees, they bathe often and I clean there brooder a few times a day, I have a deep water dish for them that they can put their whole head in too that i clean about 10x a day. After I use the saline solution he seems to do better, and i see him stick his head under often, overall they both seem very healthy and active. I just worry about their sneezing even if there’s not any other symptoms; I’m a new duck owner so always trying to make sure their okay!

Back
Top Bottom