Duckling broke leg, HELP!

gimeis

Hatching
Jul 12, 2021
This morning one of my two week old Khaki Campbell ducklings fell out of our kiddie pool and possibly broke their leg. They can't stand, and the leg dangles limp. I think the leg is potentially broken above the knee. All of our local vets can't take in ducks. I'm so devastated. Ducky is still eager to drink/eat/preen though.

Any advice to a novice duck owner? Willing to go the extra mile if it means my duckling can live a relatively good life.

Thanks in advance, :love

Attachments

• Ducky.jpg
    Ducky.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 71
Hello gimeis,

The best thing to do for the leg would be to splint it. That involves putting a straight, strong object like a popsicle stick or 2, and taping them on to prevent further movement of the injured area. It's good that Ducky is eating and drinking.

Also, isolation for a bit is probably a good idea, just so Ducky isn't pecked on or accidentally worsens the injury. Electrolytes in the water wouldn't hurt.

How deformed is the leg?

I hope Ducky starts feeling better soon!

Hello gimeis,

The best thing to do for the leg would be to splint it. That involves putting a straight, strong object like a popsicle stick or 2, and taping them on to prevent further movement of the injured area. It's good that Ducky is eating and drinking.

Also, isolation for a bit is probably a good idea, just so Ducky isn't pecked on or accidentally worsens the injury. Electrolytes in the water wouldn't hurt.

How deformed is the leg?

I hope Ducky starts feeling better soon!
Hi, thanks so much for reaching out to me! :)

The little guy is doing well today, eating and drinking still. I let them float in some warm water to see how they do, and they loved it.

The leg doesn't show any obvious signs of deformity, but the duckling doesn't seem to be able to even move it's leg at all. When holding them, the duckling's leg just dangles. It's still warm though. Ducky does cry when the injured leg is straightened to a normal standing position. :(

Unless you want to pay for expensive x rays at the vet, I would just say keep doing what you're doing for now. Watch to make sure Ducky doesn't make it worse. If the leg is still warm and not any more deformed, Ducky should be stable for now.

Thanks for the advice,
The little duckling was very stable last night, and is beginning to stand on one leg. :)

We took little ducky to a vet, out of town, this afternoon. X-rays came back with a fractured tibia. Unfortunately, it can't be splinted but the doc assured that the leg would heal. The little guy will most likely have a limp growing up, but otherwise is completely healthy :love

Back
Top Bottom