Duckling Can’t Walk

Filo_rengifo

Hatching
Apr 21, 2021
Hello, I have been searching for answers and can’t seem to find anything. I have been helping raise the abandoned ducklings in my pond for about a month now. Out of 11, there’s only 2 left. This morning one of them was attacked by a group of ducks (they are mallards and the two ducklings are baby mallards as well) I managed to scare off the ducks that were trying to drown him, but he was so weak I was able to scoop him out of the lake without a fight. It has been a few hours, he’s eating and drinking water. I have him on my patio behind a baby gate. He mostly sleeps, but seems so weak and when his sister calls him from the lake he tries to stand but he’s mostly dragging himself on his belly. What can I do? He is an invasive species where I am from and no one will help me (expect to euthanize). I don’t see any injuries on him, aside from a few missing feathers. His legs also seem fine. What more can I do and how do I know if he’s going to make it? Thank you everyone!

Attachments

• F0430738-7E12-43D8-9F40-E983C6AA8F6E.jpeg
    F0430738-7E12-43D8-9F40-E983C6AA8F6E.jpeg
    894.7 KB · Views: 5
Hello, I have been searching for answers and can’t seem to find anything. I have been helping raise the abandoned ducklings in my pond for about a month now. Out of 11, there’s only 2 left. This morning one of them was attacked by a group of ducks (they are mallards and the two ducklings are baby mallards as well) I managed to scare off the ducks that were trying to drown him, but he was so weak I was able to scoop him out of the lake without a fight. It has been a few hours, he’s eating and drinking water. I have him on my patio behind a baby gate. He mostly sleeps, but seems so weak and when his sister calls him from the lake he tries to stand but he’s mostly dragging himself on his belly. What can I do? He is an invasive species where I am from and no one will help me (expect to euthanize). I don’t see any injuries on him, aside from a few missing feathers. His legs also seem fine. What more can I do and how do I know if he’s going to make it? Thank you everyone!
Give him poultry electrolytes or another similar poultry medication and keep her in a low stress environment to let them recover.

Back
Top Bottom