Duckling cannot walk, dragging leg behind him, please help

Ephyra

Songster
Apr 13, 2019
(Not my duckling, posting for someone else) Hope it's okay that I posted on the injury section too.

He's 13 days old, it began a couple days ago. Her vet won't see him unless it's a broken leg... There's no swelling and does not appear to be painful, but he cannot walk. He falls on his face and drags the leg behind him. He appears to be in good health otherwise. His diet is duck starter/grower. Thanks so much for any help!

Video of him trying to walk:

Breaks my heart. It almost looks like it's out of socket? I'm not a vet and I have no experience with this other than I have a duck that limped for several days after getting out of the duck pool off the side and falling on the ground rather than using the ramp. If you have a local farm & home or zoo maybe you could call them and see if they know of anyone that could help with your situation. Good luck!

Thanks so much for the replies @OkieQuack and @Ceciliasflock! I'm forwarding your replies to her. Maybe she can call the vet and explain that it does look broken after all. Would you expect swelling, redness if it were broken or not necessarily? Any thoughts on either perosis or splay leg?

Thanks so much for the replies @OkieQuack and @Ceciliasflock! I'm forwarding your replies to her. Maybe she can call the vet and explain that it does look broken after all. Would you expect swelling, redness if it were broken or not necessarily? Any thoughts on either perosis or splay leg?
Doesn't seem like splay leg at all. I really seems broken high up. I would expect a little swelling, not much though.

Thank you! The vet actually won't see him at all unfortunately. We're trying to find a vet that will but no luck so far. Anything at all we can do for him without a vet?

Here’s a thread with a duckling with similar symptoms that seems to have some good advice and resources. I really hope your friend is able to find a vet ☹

Back
Top Bottom