1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duckling cant stand. Whats wrong?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MVchickens, Nov 11, 2011.

1. MVchickens

MVchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    My ducks arrived from McMurray hatchery on wednesday afternoon. one of the ducklings arrived very weak, I thought I was going to lose it, but it perked up after eating and drinking. The only problem now is that it can stand or walk. It kinda just paddles its self around the brooder like it is in the water. Any idea on whats wrong? She has showed no improvement over the last few days. any ideas on how to help her out?

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Gee- I wouldnt have thought hatcheries would still be posting ducklings this time of year- anyways... Have you checked the legs for deformity or slipped tendons? Are its legs underneath it- or going out to the sides when it tries to move around ?

3. MVchickens

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    They sent a heat pack with them and it was a warm day to travel. But the legs look just like the others, no deformities, and they stay under her. how do I check for slipped tendons?

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It might just be best to do a comparison - I am hoping your ducklings have light coloured legs- it will be easier to see. - Oh I just remembered I have a photos that may help...

This is a normal leg. One particular tendon that can slip runs down the back of the leg. If it has slipped- it will look much different- think chicken leg- with the joint at the top- the rounded bone edges stick out more.

[​IMG]

Check right down the leg and for the range of movement in the legs and all joints in the legs. Do you have some vitamins to put in the water at all? A boost in the essential dietary nutrients may help in some way depending on what the cause is.

5. MVchickens

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    Judging from the pictures its not a slipped tendon...

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    For leg issues I feel two things that can help are vitamins/electrolytes/probiotics for nutritional support, and much opportunity to swim (for ducklings it must be in warm water - say, at least 85F, with supervision - and not for very long at a time, followed with a return to a warm, clean, dry brooder and help with drying off if necessary). The idea is to give the leg a chance to work and strenthen and straighten itself, while keeping weight off of it.

7. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Not sure what it could be. Propping duckling up on washcloth in a normal sitting position might help. Keeping it's legs under instead of back thus preventing poor thing from being face down... Hopefully it will gain strength.

Just a word of caution also. Do not feed ducks, well any waterfowl medicated chick starter. Good luck!

8. MVchickens

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    Just to let everyone know, over the past few days the duckling has come out of what ever was wrong. she is now running around with the others just fine. thanks for your help!

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Wonderful news!!![​IMG]

10. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Wonderful news!!![​IMG]

x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by