Duckling Clicking/Drooling

beachyburrow

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2022
Hello!

I am new here, and trying to gracefully navigate what it means to be a duckling owner.

We recently purchased ducklings from TSC after doing our due diligence, researching, and informing ourselves on the responsibilities of what it means to have some stinky, but, cute ducklings.

We purchased them as a "mix" so we are unsure what they are - but from watching them grow the past week, seem to be Runners.

We have one little duckling who started drooling last night when held, which is something we have not seen before. We did find that it was possibly due to stress, so placed him back in the brooder with fresh bedding and clean dishes.

This morning though, I went to check on them, and the little guy has a strange clicking noise when he breathes. From the internet research I have done, it seems that it could be many different things.

We have been putting electrolytes and vitamins in the water, clean their bedding multiple times daily, have a feeder with duckling feed, give them grit and mashed fresh veggies/fruits, but alas, this poor duckling is having some issues.

Where I am finding trouble, is how to figure out if we need meds for sickness, or if it will pass, or if it will possibly spread to the other ducklings (assuming it is not a pneumonia). Any feed supply stores that I look up in our area just have a general electrolyte/vitamin compound or when I look up the meds recommended are for livestock in general and not specifically for ducks/ducklings.

I thought I would be very well prepared for any complications, but this is one that has happened quick. I appreciate any grace and help that comes my way.

I have looked at the following threads, and am still a bit confused on how to handle this:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/duckling-makes-clicking-noise-when-breathing.1346571/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/call-duckling-clicking-while-breathing.346995/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ned-pneumonia-antibiotic-preventative.395102/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/antibiotic-for-ducks.883891/

Thank you for any advice.

Respectfully,

The Beachy Burrow

So sorry to hear about your little duckling! Has anything changed since you posted? Maybe check to make sure that its nose is clear and it is able to fully get it's bill into the water. I would keep a close eye on it as well as the other ducklings to see if it spreads. By the sounds of it, you seem to be doing a great job so far and I can tell you really care for the ducks. Keep us updated!
BTW, you write quite eloquently.

Clicking? It sounds like your duckling might have aspirated some water. What is your water dish like? Have they swam recently? I had a duckling who inhaled water into his lungs and he made clicking noises until it cleared. Hopefully, it didn’t get too much water if that’s what it is. If they inhale too much, it can be deadly. I’d be really careful about having that particular duckling in or by deeper water or water he can climb into or get pushed in by his siblings right now. Can you post a video on YouTube and then post the link here? That’s how we can for sure tell snd know how to best help you. Pictures of your brooder set up can be helpful too! Also how old is this duckling? Please know I am not trying to be pushy or mean, I’m just trying to figure out how to best help you and your little duckie. You are doing a great job by noticing and wanting to help the little fella!! 😁

Clicking? It sounds like your duckling might have aspirated some water. What is your water dish like? Have they swam recently? I had a duckling who inhaled water into his lungs and he made clicking noises until it cleared. Hopefully, it didn’t get too much water if that’s what it is. If they inhale too much, it can be deadly. I’d be really careful about having that particular duckling in or by deeper water or water he can climb into or get pushed in by his siblings right now. Can you post a video on YouTube and then post the link here? That’s how we can for sure tell snd know how to best help you. Pictures of your brooder set up can be helpful too! Also how old is this duckling? Please know I am not trying to be pushy or mean, I’m just trying to figure out how to best help you and your little duckie. You are doing a great job by noticing and wanting to help the little fella!! 😁
Thank you so much for your response back in August! While we did not have any swimmable water in the brooder, we thought maybe he was getting excited whenever we put a small pyrex bowl in the tank and dunked his little noggin for too long. We kept a very close eye on him and the rest and he recovered just fine within a week. They are now big, strong, growing, and outdoor ducks! Thank you again for your advice! :)

Thank you so much for your response back in August! While we did not have any swimmable water in the brooder, we thought maybe he was getting excited whenever we put a small pyrex bowl in the tank and dunked his little noggin for too long. We kept a very close eye on him and the rest and he recovered just fine within a week. They are now big, strong, growing, and outdoor ducks! Thank you again for your advice! :)
No problem! Happy to help!! Glad your bird is doing great!!

Back
Top Bottom