Call Duckling clicking while breathing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by justmeandtheflock, May 21, 2010.

1. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    I picked up some 2 weeks old call duckling last Saturday. One of them seems to be making a clicking noise when it is breathing. In searching all I can find is an incurable fungal infection. Is there anything else it could be and what can I do to try to help it? Thanks!

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Anyone with ducks ever been thru this?

3. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Songster

wish I could help I have call ducks and Ive had a couple of them make funny sounds a couple of
    times that worried me at first and then they would quit .... does it seem fine other than the sound.?
    eating , drinking ?? someone here should be able to advise.... good luck...

4. Sounds like pneumonia. Possibly he sucked some water up into his lungs. Keep him warm, and no swimming at all until the clicking goes away. Maybe some Vitamins and Electrolyets in his water for the next couple days.

5. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Thanks for the replies [​IMG] He's been doing it since I picked they up. I was giving it a few days to clear up in case it was just because they may not have been kept in the best conditions before I got them, I didn't see the brooding area. He is eating and drinking fine but smaller than the others, I'm not sure it they all hatched together. I just picked up durvet vitamins & electrolytes and Terramycin from TSC. Any suggestions on dosage nad if I should start the terramycin? These guys are between 2 and 3 weeks old. Thanks!

Edited to add that the terramycin is in 250 mg tablets for cows, it's all they had.

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  6. Transit

Transit Chirping

Jun 10, 2012
    My baby chicken appears to be going thru the same thing! Do you think the same things might work for him?

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    It's worth a try

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by