Duckling cold or scared?

kada6305

Songster
6 Years
Mar 13, 2013
Kersey, Pennsylvania
We just got our three ducklings today and they are huddled together on the far side corner away from the light. I have read that they do this if they are too hot. The thermometer is reading about 90 F. So are they too hot or are they just scared? They are Marrals and around 4/5 days old. thanks for your help !

I also have three new ducks. Same behavior. From past experience they're choosing a spot away from the light because it's too warm. It's just them self-regulating their temperature, and it's better than them being too cold (where they'd be huddled under the light.) Maybe raise the lamp a little bit.

How big is their brooder? If it is too large, they can sometimes not find the heat. Is the temp 90 right under the heat? That is what you want 85-90 right now but they need to be able to get away from the heat.

We just got our three ducklings today and they are huddled together on the far side corner away from the light. I have read that they do this if they are too hot. The thermometer is reading about 90 F. So are they too hot or are they just scared? They are Marrals and around 4/5 days old. thanks for your help !
And new enviroment can cause stress, give them a few hours to get use to where they are then if they are still huddled in the corner away from heat lamp it maybe too warm. rule of thumb is week 1 90* and then each week there after drop temp by 5* and when you come into look at them get down on their level, can you imagine how scary we would feel if some giant creature was staing at us? lol

Where is your brooder? If it's in the house, it "could" be that they are too warm, and just need time to regulate. If it's some place cooler, such as in your garage, I would place them under the heat lamp. Just another opinion. :)

They are still huddled in the corner, it's 90 under the light, this is what I'm using,,

They are still huddled in the corner, it's 90 under the light, this is what I'm using,,

Mine will do that when they're trying to get away from the bright light of a white bulb. And, in my experience, it's better that they're a little too cold than that they're a little too hot. That photo looks like they're trying to get away from the light, not that they're too hot, but I would raise the lamp a little just in case. Good luck!

I wonder if you replace the white bulb with a red heat lamp bulb? That would be a less harsh light.

I have a red heat lamp that I use at night (when the house is colder) and a simple incandescent black light bulb for the daytime. The black seems to put out more heat than a white bulb.

If you can afford it, the ceramic heat bulbs that produce no light are the best, in my opinion. They last and last, too.

You can find them in the reptile aisle at the pet store, usually.

Back
Top Bottom