Duckling cold or scared?

This is what I had to do, hook the lamp to a near by chair. Maybe I should get a lower wattage?

This is what I had to do, hook the lamp to a near by chair. Maybe I should get a lower wattage?
I think you can get 150watt too that may help with getting temps right. and like JW said it needs to be between 85-90, I say on the lower side of 90. ducklings don't need it as warm as chicks. thats a good idea about the chair. just make sure if you have children they don't accidently bump it and knock the lamp off into the bin.

yeah we are going to buy a lower wattage, the 250 ( ithink? or 275) watt was all tsc had...too much fo my babies. and no kids for me, just two puppies but I have everything fenced off from them :)

I am using a plastic bin for 2 mallards and am also having a hard time keeping it cool enough...I just have the light propped up on stuff, or if they seem really warm then I clip the light on the side of the bin so it barely shines in...then when they go looking for the light I lower it a little...It is a repositioning game. I let them cool and then I heat them up again...they seem to be doing alright with it.
Try using a ladder - or a straight back chair = I have an aluminum 6 ft ladder straddling my Rubbermaid bin - and have a red bulb clamped on the stabilizer - seems to work well to keep the temp between 85 and 90 - if it gets too hot they huddle away from it and I accommodate them by scooting the bin out from under the ladder a bit - so one side of the tub is several degrees warmer than the other and they move around as needed to modulate their temperature. Last year I used a white bulb and it was just blazing hot and irritating. The red is much better I think.
You might also try a smaller feed jar and smaller water jar - they make some that fit quart mason jars or plastic jugs and take up much less space on the floor of the bin. We finally gave up on the little multi-hole feeder for the ducklings as they got the feed so wet it was a constant mess. I just put a little metal food bowl (maybe an inch deep and 3 inches across) in there. When they're through eating they huddle in it since it's warmed from the lamp. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom