Duckling Colour

UPDATE:
We now have seven ducklings in total. Smokey, Misty, Foggy and Cloudy are now 3(ish) weeks old ( I think, I lost track lol, could be 4) and are starting to get their feathers poking through. Stormy is doing really well, as are our two youngest babies, Quake and Tsunami. We did have another one between Quake and Tsunami named Cyclone, but for some reason or other she died a few days after hatching. She was really listless and didn't seem to be eating or drinking. I don't know what happened.

Anyway, they're all doing really well.

We also have three Indian Runner ducklings that our fairly-new pair recently hatched. They are about a week old by now probably and are running around after their protective mother, who freaked when my dad picked one up earlier (it had fallen in the adults pond and he was getting it out, which she wasn't very appreciative for). She seems to be pretty good mumma for what I assume is her first batch of ducklings (she and the male were both 6 months old upon purchase around a month or two ago.)

Our youngest Muscovy duck, Blackie, has also started incubating her own little nest of eggs (not sure exactly how many their are) a little over a week back, so we may have more ducklings in the future. Unfortunately with the summer heat, we have to keep a close eye on her so she doesn't roast in her coop. She was not handraised, so we are hoping she'll actually have a clue on how to raise her own babies this time.

ALSO: My King Quails hatched three chicks this morning. They've been terrible parents in the past. The chicks always die for one of several reasons: They drown, escape the cage, get stuck in the cage walls, get stood on, get their feet pecked by rival males, etc. I've managed to eliminate most of these, so hopefully the mumma quail will just girl up and take care of the sodding things (I love them, but out of dozens of at least three dozen chicks total in the last few years, they've only raised about 5 into adulthoood, and all 5 were by a sweet little female who is now gone. RIP.)

Anyway, I won't be updating for a while because our wifi is gone and we won't have it back until the 27TH OF NOVEMBER!!! Apparently our phone line has been connected with somebody else's so we can't actually use it, meaning we also don't have wifi etc.

In the meantime, here's some photos that I have with me :3

20181113_134754[1].jpg

The Indian Runner ducklings at a day old - I named all three of them variations of my best friend's name because she's both adorable, quirky and annoying

20181115_231657[1].jpg

My parrot, Mango, stealing my chips because he thinks ducklings like them...
20181113_201505[1].jpg

Magnum (left) and Mystic (right) standing over their new babies
20181116_012353(0)[1].jpg

Sleepy time - the seven Muscovy ducklings

Our Muscovy drake has taken an 'interest' in the Runner female, and the Runner drake harassed the female Muscovys cause he was bored while the Runner female was brooding - and then I thought, how ugly would Muscovy-Runner crosses be - a Muscovy that stands upright, or just a Runner that walks like a Muscovy? o.o

Hi all! I'm checking in again after a long time, sorry about that.

The ducks are doing great - two drakes and five ducks out of the batch which is amazing odds cause we normally get all drakes.
We actually just had another batch of ducklings hatch, so I'll try and attach some pics of all of them for you to enjoy

IMG_20181229_183844_844.jpg

Grover and her new christmas babies
IMG_20181229_183844_854.jpg

20181228_100642(0).jpg
The fluffy 15
20181228_142107.jpg

Lightweight after having stolen her sister's babies

I don't seem to have many pictures of the older ducklings. They have all grown up beautifully and the one who I mentioned at the beginning of the thread, yellow with white patches, has grown into a fully white drake :)
Anyway, hope everyone's Christmas went well!

:love Gorgeous! What do you do with all those ducklings?
We're planning on trying to sell most of these new ones, otherwise we'll end up with thirty odd ducks and that's too many for me to care for. We're going to keep a few for the mumma duck to raise herself, that way she doesn't freak out that she's hatched all of these babies and then they disappear.

Back
Top Bottom